Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

what 3d printer recommended for begginers

Posted by arevivo 
what 3d printer recommended for begginers
January 13, 2016 11:09AM
I was wondering if [www.electron3dprinter.com] is any good for real beginners that have zero experience in 3d printing. I am interested as a hobby to get a 3d printer that is not expensive and could be used at home.
Re: what 3d printer recommended for begginers
January 13, 2016 02:11PM
I'm eyeing their Slimbot promotion but I'm not sure I like that the bed support is Acrylic and that they use a four point (corners) leveling solution. I do like that there is one Z motor instead of two to sync up but the fact it is on one side makes me wonder if the other side might bind.
January 13, 2016 03:10PM
Your choice will give you a certain amount and level of headaches. You won't know till you start.
If you stick with the Reprap models / variations you will have an extensive amount of support from all over the world and not just a supplier.
There will always be some electronics, material handling, mechanics, thermal sciences and software/firmware areas that you will have to be involved in.
But with the Reprap choice you can modify or correct till your hearts content. Everybody does this.
My recommendation is don't go proprietary, glizty or cute / small print area. Focus on a print bed in the range of 5x5 or greater.
With Reprap you can just alter the length of the supports and rods to grow your print size. Sure there are new issues with this but you can.
And print a new dual or quad hotend mount and you are multiple materials at a price that the big guys wont go near.
If you are looking for a simple appliance then don't buy a kit but spend the money to bypass any rough setup issues like the kits offer.

Good luck and expect to see you posting results or questions here in Reprap world.

And save your energy and enthusiasm for the effort it is going to take to you to get on board. You aint gonna print a Lamborghini and drive away the first day.
The first question is 'What do you want to print?'

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2016 03:15PM by Giantkiller.

Replikeo Prusa I3 Rework, Ramps 1.4, Marlin, Pronterface, Tinkercad.
Plan B is always to be somebody else.
January 13, 2016 03:18PM
I will certainly go for the RepRap Thank you

What about making the printer work at apartment environment , fumes smoke coming out when printing is that an issue in an apartment with kids or a baby around ?
January 13, 2016 03:32PM
If there are other people in your area I'd say get what is similar to what they have starting out. I went out on my own and it was a very steep curve with very little help. Some stuff is so much easier to learn when somebody shows you as opposed to watching videos or reading blogs and wikis.
January 13, 2016 06:46PM
Two questions:
1) What do you want to print?
2) Do you want printing to be the hobby, or is 3D printing to support of other interests?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
January 13, 2016 07:32PM
Just as a hobby to print some 3d items.
January 14, 2016 12:15PM
This pie chart says it all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2016 12:16PM by Giantkiller.
January 14, 2016 08:23PM
is that one any good for really noob inexperienced in 3d printing.

[www.aliexpress.com]

BTW what filament material should be used when replicating parts for this printer. ABS I think is good but not sure.
January 15, 2016 12:13PM
I am impressed! 3ed hotend, Prusa, All metal Bowden tensioned filament feed!, everything mounted cleanly.
You best search on acrylic frame problems though.

And the biggie is *parts may vary from photo* as a last item specified. This is a killer. This looks too good to be true.
You could get worse everything. Let somebody else buy this and you find the feedback.

I don't see motors listed either. But the spring loaded end stops are the bomb!
My bad. I see the motors in the BOM. But I am still shaky on this.
If parts may vary then what does that mean? Missing, inferior, broken? Really? What kind of escape clause is that?
The 3d model test they show has more overhangs than the gardens of Babylon. You see that wrench suspended in mid air? You should search that type of printing out also. A switch and bait order.

See how excitation can blind some one?

There is a comment that clearly explains some faults.

But for $250 and add motors this would be great except for the two comments I made.

Oh, and the acrylic you get could be thinner gauge. Yes they would cut on expenses any way they can.
But wait! .... This just in: an acrylic bed? Excuse me?
I had made other posts about 'Your price acceptance equals the headaches you choose'.
Oh, and all the comments on the Aliexpress site could be employees.

They show you what you would like to have but make alot of clauses to abate what you would actually get.
You'll also notice my comments jumps pro then con in a jumble. This is how a list of promises should be read also.
Caveat emptor, little brother...

I am also surprised that no one else here made comments.

But I will tell you what: I see some pretty cool modifications to print for my printer!
Now back to Tinkercad for me...

Edited 14 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2016 12:55PM by Giantkiller.

January 15, 2016 02:29PM
January 15, 2016 04:43PM
And here ya go...

The hokey search results:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2016 04:55PM by Giantkiller.

January 16, 2016 08:57AM
I am still getting my first printer set up properly, ironing all the bugs out. I have already managed to print some actual useful stuff, but it took a lot of head scratching. Support from the vendor was basically zero... not good for a newbie! Mine is from a Sunhokey Prusa i3 kit. If you like to tinker, and do endless google searches, and ask questions on forums and get smarmy "Why dont you learn to use Google?" answers, then a kit is for you. If you are on an extremely tight budget, a kit might be for you but be prepared for an adventure.

The only good thing I can say about the Sunhokey kit is the acrylic parts are nice and thick, and cut very precisely. And it was cheap.

From another newbie... if you are impatient to get started kicking some 3d printed butt, get a ready built printer of a RepRap design. You get near turnkey operation, but flexibility and extensibility, for just a couple hundred bucks more than a kit. How much is your time worth?

GrowleyMonster
Honemeister, Razorsmith, EV guy. Go ahead, ask me something.
January 16, 2016 10:04AM
I don't believe in the "starter-printer" concept. If you get a cheapo "starter-printer" with the intention of learning about 3D printing, with a plan to get a better printer later, I'd say why waste the time and money on the "starter printer"? All you will learn from a "starter printer" is what a PITA it can be to use an unreliable 3D printer.

OTOH, if your intention is for the printer to be the hobby, then by all means, get a cheapo and spend your time messing around with it. It will provide endless hours of "entertainment" and "education".

January 16, 2016 11:00AM
GrowleyMonster and the Dentist are both ends of the rainbow spectrum here.
@GM, i think you meant You get near turnkey operation, but NO flexibility and extensibility

Back in the day I jumped from mainframes into electronics to building an Apple][+ from the ground up, investigated S100, jumped into Unix, learned 20+ computer languages, hacked the hell out of the Apple and IBM, solve crash dumps on numerous platforms and wrote untold programs for corporate and self businesses. I wanted to know it all and it has served me well. But it takes a lifetime. There is no try only do...

Now when something crashes the first thought is 'Oh I know what causes that' and walk away. LOL.
January 16, 2016 05:10PM
Giantkiller
GrowleyMonster and the Dentist are both ends of the rainbow spectrum here.
@GM, i think you meant You get near turnkey operation, but NO flexibility and extensibility

Back in the day I jumped from mainframes into electronics to building an Apple][+ from the ground up, investigated S100, jumped into Unix, learned 20+ computer languages, hacked the hell out of the Apple and IBM, solve crash dumps on numerous platforms and wrote untold programs for corporate and self businesses. I wanted to know it all and it has served me well. But it takes a lifetime. There is no try only do...

Now when something crashes the first thought is 'Oh I know what causes that' and walk away. LOL.

So, you are saying that a ready built printer has no flexibility and extensibility? Seems like it would have, as long as it is open source.

GrowleyMonster
Honemeister, Razorsmith, EV guy. Go ahead, ask me something.
January 16, 2016 06:01PM
Open source or not, they all have some flexibility and extensibility. It's more a matter of the person than the machine. If you're intimidated by trying to modify things yourself or voiding warranties, you may not get very far.

We have an engineering prototype (not a hobbyist machine, a $5k + commercial/industrial product) type printer at the makerspace that uses proprietary filament cartridges. Crazy. Nope, not readily extensible or modifiable. OTOH, how hard can it be to pull the controller board and install a smoothieboard? No more proprietary filament cartridges!

January 16, 2016 10:08PM
the_digital_dentist
Open source or not, they all have some flexibility and extensibility. It's more a matter of the person than the machine. If you're intimidated by trying to modify things yourself or voiding warranties, you may not get very far.

We have an engineering prototype (not a hobbyist machine, a $5k + commercial/industrial product) type printer at the makerspace that uses proprietary filament cartridges. Crazy. Nope, not readily extensible or modifiable. OTOH, how hard can it be to pull the controller board and install a smoothieboard? No more proprietary filament cartridges!

Point well made but the price is $5k. Touche compadre...
January 16, 2016 11:30PM
The price isn't the point. The point is that anything can be fixed or made to work the way you want if you're willing to make a little effort, spend a little money, and don't mind voiding a warranty. That machine is well built and produces high quality prints, but I can get a Smoothieboard for less than the cost of two proprietary filament cartridges. Once the smoothieboard is in, I can use any slicer instead of the proprietary software for that machine. I an also use any filament without worrying about chips in cartridges.

Some people might try to hack the cartridge read/write system, but I don't have those sort of chops, and if I did, we'd still be stuck with the proprietary slicer. Switching to an open source controller fixes everything at once.

January 18, 2016 10:35AM
@Arevivo,
Well you can see where this can go.
I would say buy the Sunhokey.
You are going to run into work not matter what you purchase.

And you will appreciate the detail Tom talks about now and in the future.
E3d v6 hotends

I just received two E3d v6 clones. We shall see how these work out.
I am at the stage of build where I am having to replace the supplied parts with better parts. My test prints are showing up better as I find out each nuance or problem of my initial build.
Cost so far is +$110.00 above the $400.00 I bought the printer for.

I have seen two camps of customers. One builds their printer and starts printing immediately. The second group has to go through a rework stage first.
Looks to me like a crap shoot.

Hope this helps.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2016 10:36AM by Giantkiller.
January 25, 2016 08:55AM
Giantkiller

I don't see motors listed either. But the spring loaded end stops are the bomb!
My bad. I see the motors in the BOM. But I am still shaky on this.

thread-jacking...

I'm curious. What should you look for in a motor? I just got my Chinese kit from ebay and have had my share of problems, but the main problem seems to be the extruder motor stalling. It will feed fine for several mm, then you hear a clunk and if you watch the print when the clunk happens, you see a spotty section of extrusion. I'm pretty sure it is mis-stepping at this point. You can watch the other end of the shaft and see it moving smoothly until the "clunk" where it actually appears to jump back a step. Could it just be a weak motor?

The extruder is not like any I've seen: it's similar to a MK8, but it is plastic and has no tension adjustment. Here's the ebay link where you can see the details of the extruder:

[www.ebay.com]
January 25, 2016 12:25PM
My recommendation is look for tensioned extruders.

February 18, 2016 08:08AM
hello all im new to this forum but id like to add my opinion if I may.

I was a complete novice I didn't even know you could get different kind of printer setups. but I wanted one regardless so I took the plunge and bought the electron3d as mentioned at the start of this thread.
reason being it was cheap I didn't have any great expectations for it but thought what the hell.
I was surprise at just how well it worked the instructions are non exsistant so don't expect any but a quick search online supplies it all.
they are a great learning curve mines taught me a little bit of coding using marlin and with help from github it runs really well now.
you get an aluminium bed with this machine which will take forever to heat up so ditch that and go for the glass and clip option as I have. there are plenty of upgrades to get it just depends on how tech minded you are next up for mine is an upgraded extruder and axis carrier ?

I work for an American company here in the uk and they use the lulzbot taz 5 printers and to be honest I can get better results with my printer than they do with the more expensive one.

I wont lie you will get some degree of headaches with the electron printer but none of it is unsolvable and it will give you a great basis to start learning. I love mine ive had it almost 10 months and its never missed a beat even on overnight printing jobs. well worth the money just all depends on your budget and how much of a snob you are when It comes to branding !
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login