Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone have a reccomended heated bed?

Posted by iamdarkyoshi 
Anyone have a reccomended heated bed?
January 17, 2016 12:31AM
So I am finally finishing my scratch-build printer. All I have is ABS filament so I need a heated bed. The head has exactly 7x7in of print area, what glass sheet and PCB should I use for a 12v supply? I already have a thermistor from my old printhead, so I just need a PCB based heater and glass. I am done with standard glass and nichrome wire causing the glass to crack smiling smiley

I would prefer amazon links with prime, the sooner the better! Thanks everyone!
Re: Anyone have a reccomended heated bed?
January 17, 2016 12:44AM
Standard PCB heaters are 214mm between mounting holes, you can get 150ish mm beds but that sounds too small. You probably will have to use a silicon heater with adhesive applied to aluminum plate with glass on top.

Prusa i3 Rework - Ramps 1.4 - E3d Lite6 - Full Graphic LCD Controller
January 17, 2016 01:16AM
Is the printer enclosed? If not, you'll get poor results with ABS if the model is more than a few cm tall.

ABS needs a closed, warm (45-50C) build chamber or it will warp and delaminate.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
January 17, 2016 01:22AM
Yup. Entire build is enclosed and will have multi section temperature regulation with heaters.
January 17, 2016 08:43AM
Great! Find a silicone heater- I'd look for something like 200W or maybe a little more if you don't want to wait a long time before printing starts. Ebay and Aliexpress have a lot of them. It is better to err on the side of higher power than lower power. Your controller will keep the temperature under control if you have a high powered heater and it will heat quickly. If you have an under powered heater temperature regulation will be poor and you'll have to wait a long time to start printing.

I have a 12" square bed with a 450W heater and it takes about 5 minutes to reach ABS print temperature.

Here's one that will definitely get you up to temp in a hurry: [www.ebay.com] It uses 110V so you'll have to be careful about wiring, but an SSR driven directly by your printer's controller will work well without a heatsink.

Here's another, a little less power, DC required: [www.ebay.com]

Glass sheet sucks- it's a thermal insulator. You need a piece of aluminum under it to spread the heat, so why not just go directly with a flat piece of aluminum instead of trying to flatten the surface with a piece of glass? Get a piece of 1/4" cast tooling plate.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2016 11:48AM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login