Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 testing weird noise and vibration - normal?

Posted by peroz 
Prusa i3 testing weird noise and vibration - normal?
January 27, 2016 01:21PM
The thing sounds quite violent. What is it? I can "home" and move everything smoothly, just when I initiate printing, there is this loud motor action...

Here it is: [www.youtube.com]
VDX
Re: Prusa i3 testing weird noise and vibration - normal?
January 27, 2016 02:04PM
... you're faster than the motors can follow, so they stalls - reduce the travelling speed to half and test new ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 27, 2016 02:37PM
Not the solution. Went down to 1/4 (in pronterface) of my setting, and it's still like this. What do printers usually do before they go to position and start extruding? My homes, "buzzes" and then "prints" nicely.
VDX
January 27, 2016 02:53PM
... then reduce the homing speed accordingly - could be a setting in the firmware ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 27, 2016 02:58PM
Homing is okay. I can manualy home all three axses with hardly any sound and no vibration. When I oad a gcode file and press print, however, the machine homes nicely, then it does the buzzing and then it's all fun and nice again.
January 28, 2016 10:27AM
Try turning down the pots on the steppers
January 30, 2016 06:36AM
That's definitely motor stalling either too much or too little current or the carriages are binding.
January 30, 2016 08:01AM
DjDemonD
That's definitely motor stalling either too much or too little current or the carriages are binding.

Carriages are free and movement is okay during homing or "manual" moving in pronterface and during printing. It just does this for a split second before it starts to print. I'll try playing with current setting pots later today.

Or would someone be so kind and film their printer for a few seconds when they start the print? Would help me a lot if I knew what the printer wants to do at that exact time and in my case... can't.
January 31, 2016 11:21AM
When homing there is no filament feed. Your extruder gears might be cogging? Just a thought.
January 31, 2016 12:06PM
No, extruder is fine. Works while printing, so far without the filament of course.
February 08, 2016 12:59PM
Wanted to play with current settings on my stepper drivers, but couldn't really identiy them as to know what their Rs is, so I did the next best thing and turned up the Z-axis trimpot by 1/8 of the circle. Now I know what the damn machine wanted to do when it made the noise and none remembered: it rises and lowers the Z axis with great speed.

Why does it do that?

Well, the noise is gone, so as far as that goes, I'm happy. Hope I get the hot end and heatbed this week so I can start printing. smiling smiley
February 08, 2016 01:28PM
Can anyone identify this driver?
Attachments:
open | download - 20160208_190755-600x1067.jpg (124.1 KB)
February 09, 2016 10:47PM
[reprap.org]

Folger Tech 2020 i3 and FT-5 as well as modified JGAurora A5 with direct drive E3D/Titan. All running the BLTOUCH.
Great kits. Having fun and running the heck out of them.
Running Marlin 1.1.0 RC8 on the i3 and FT5. Custom firmware on A5.
Folger Tech Wiki board >[folgertech.wikia.com]
February 11, 2016 12:57PM
peroz, tjnamtiw was meaning this could be some stepsticks. His answer is relevant.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
February 11, 2016 01:30PM
If you have the Marlin firmware then turn your homing feedrate down in the firmware.
Its a separate speed from the printing and movement speeds.
February 11, 2016 05:21PM
DeuxVis
peroz, tjnamtiw was meaning this could be some stepsticks. His answer is relevant.

Thanks, I guess I was being TOO BRIEF~~~ smiling smiley

Same positioning of the adjustment pot point to probably a 4988. He's have to look at the reference resistors to confirm it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2016 05:25PM by tjnamtiw.

Folger Tech 2020 i3 and FT-5 as well as modified JGAurora A5 with direct drive E3D/Titan. All running the BLTOUCH.
Great kits. Having fun and running the heck out of them.
Running Marlin 1.1.0 RC8 on the i3 and FT5. Custom firmware on A5.
Folger Tech Wiki board >[folgertech.wikia.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login