Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I cant get my computer to recognize my Prusa i3e printer

Posted by [email protected] 
I cant get my computer to recognize my Prusa i3e printer
February 23, 2016 12:00PM
My son has recently purchased a 3d printer. We have put it all together and got to the point where we plug it into our computer. The instructions are telling me that the computer should recognize the printer and install the drivers automatically. Not happening. I double checked my wiring as the instructions suggested and still not figuring it out. I am not super computer savy. Can anybody help????
Re: I cant get my computer to recognize my Prusa i3e printer
February 23, 2016 01:30PM
What controller are you using? Are you trying to upload formate or connect for a print?

Prusa i3 Rework - Ramps 1.4 - E3d Lite6 - Full Graphic LCD Controller
February 23, 2016 01:49PM
I am not sure what you mean by controller. In my instructions for the Folger tech Pruas I3 configuration manual I was instructed to download the arduino software and the repetier software and to put them in a folder on my dessktop labeled Marlin_RAMPS_EPCOS_i38.

Then it told me to launch the Arduino software.
Plug in the printer to my computer and it would autoamtically intall the needed drivers.

How would I find out what controller I am using?
February 23, 2016 01:52PM
I am not sure what you mean by controller. In my instructions for the Folger tech Pruas I3 configuration manual I was instructed to download the arduino software and the repetier software and to put them in a folder on my dessktop labeled Marlin_RAMPS_EPCOS_i38.

Then it told me to launch the Arduino software.
Plug in the printer to my computer and it would autoamtically intall the needed drivers.

How would I find out what controller I am using?
February 23, 2016 01:54PM
Not sure. How can I find out what controller I am using.
February 23, 2016 02:29PM
Is this Windows? Might be the infamous FTDI clone chips problem([arstechnica.com]. Check the console from the Arduino IDE (Menu -> Tools -> Serial Monitor). See if you get any message there like "counterfeit chip" or something.

I use linux and had to use a windows machine to reprogram my controller (GT2560) to use 115200 baud as linux doesn't seem to like 250000 baud which is the default on a lot of controllers.
February 23, 2016 02:33PM
[email protected]
Not sure. How can I find out what controller I am using.

The arduino is the controller you are using. It is the brains of the printer. To start off; in the arduino IDE (the arduino software), go to tools > board > and select arduino mega 2560. Plug the usb into the arduino, and in the same tool menu as before, go to "port" and select the usb port that the arduino is plug into. If you properly downloaded the arduino ide and its drivers, it should start installing them when you plug the arduino in.

Folger Tech I3 2020 Wikia page: [folgertech.wikia.com]

Custom Folger Tech I3 2020 custom search
February 23, 2016 02:50PM
the printer does not show up in the "port" tab in the arduino software, because the computer isn't recognizing the printer at all. Even in the "device manager", (I'm using windows) the computer isn't showing COM ports at all.
February 23, 2016 03:50PM
Take a clear high res photo of the main board that everything is attached to, post it in here, so we can identify it.

The configuration implies a ramps, but that's not necessarily true, there are many that are ramps compatible
February 24, 2016 05:46PM
Switch usb ports if you can. The culprit is the new 3.1 usb device identification signature.
Switch your connection down to 3.0 or less if you can. Putting a lower level usb hub will not cure the problem. But you can give it a try.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login