Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fab Design: plastic computer case (rectangle plastic box)

Posted by RoundSparrow 
Fab Design: plastic computer case (rectangle plastic box)
November 16, 2007 06:19PM
So my ambitious project is to try and learn how to get RepRap to build custom computer cases. Small ones, like you find on your typical Dlink/LinkSys/Netgear home router. Plastic rectangle boxes.

In particular, the motherboard I'm targeting is a smaller than MicroATX and could be equipped with a PicoPSU so no need to make the box much bigger than the motherboard itself plus a small hard drive (2.5" SATA laptop drive I have).

You can now get a small motherboard with CPU for USD$60 [www.clubit.com]
The idot PC2500E is lower power, does not produce a whole lot of heat or consume a lot of power. This motherboard has parallel ports and rs232 serial ports. Well suited for RepRap developer.

motherboard size: 190mm x 228mm
2.5" hard drive size: 70mm x 101mm

desired case inner size: 280mm x 240mm
desired case inner height: 44.5mm (1u rackmount)

This fits within the Darwin's specification Working volume of 300mm.

Skeleton Frame
=======================
For prototype / early version, I'm not expecting a complete covering case. At first, I expect it makes sense to basically build a plastic skeleton frame (wire frame?), just capable of supporting the motherboard. Partial bottom (lattice?) and simple corner tower posts instead of walls. I say this, as I'm assuming extruding an entirely solid bottom,wall,etc would take days and use substantial plastic feeder.

For the case top: My first thought is that it makes sense to do the bottom and walls as one RepRap part... then a lid as a second part; the lid could be a like a shoe box lid that is over sized.

CAD / Design work
====================
I'm no 3D designer... anyone interested in helping out with the 3D design work? There might be a motherboard in it for you winking smiley

Thanks.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2007 06:36PM by RoundSparrow.
VDX
Re: Fab Design: plastic computer case (rectangle plastic box)
November 17, 2007 03:16AM
Hi RoundSparrow,

... i can help you with the design and making STL-files - simply send me the sketches ...

If you want to build bigger rectangular housings, it's maybe easier to reprap only the complex connecting and designed parts and saw/mill the housing-plates out from plastic-sheets or aluminium (EM-shieling)

Viktor
November 17, 2007 11:43AM
Can't you get EM shielding with copper paint?
Just a thought, but isn't that how modern plastic casings are shielded now?
VDX
November 17, 2007 12:17PM
Hi Sean,

... every conducting surface would do, even graphite-powder in glue ...

A good deal is to spray glue on the surface and press staniol/alu-foil in the glue.

For interconnecting the housing-sides you have to connect the conducting areas together (maybe with stripes of conducting material too) and to ground, or the shielding wouldn't be effective ...

Viktor
November 19, 2007 03:59PM
cool!

Maybe one day the dozen-or-so useless CD's coming with each motherboard will contain one with a set of STL files for printing one of several standard models for a case :-)
November 19, 2007 06:55PM
That presumes you don't just download the motherboard, by that time, and print the whole thing.
November 11, 2010 04:32PM
Hi Roundsparrow

I am based in the UK, not sure where you are based.

I am a user of both Solid Edge and Solid Works, I may be able to help create the .stl files for you if you can supply me with sketches of your requirements.

The board you mentioned is larger than the Mini Itx boards which measure 170mm x 170mm, this may be a better choice for a small form factor PC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login