Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Filament change without preheating?

Posted by fatesalign 
Filament change without preheating?
February 26, 2016 12:21PM
Is there a reprap solution similar to the cel robox that allows you to add a sensor that pulls the filament in without needing to heat up, and the next time you print, it goes ahead and pushes it down the extruder then maybe whites it off before printing? I just love the simple way the Robox handles this. You don't have to shove it down and extrude some here and there. You just stick it in the hold on the outside, and it pulls it in and handles the rest?

Also, is there anything like the filament chip on the Robox?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2016 01:26PM by fatesalign.
Re: Filament change without preheating?
February 28, 2016 09:16AM
Not sure what sensor would help with that or how to implement. You could go it with GCode.
G302 to turn on cold extrude
G0 Exxx Fxxx - Exxx being the length of the feed and Fxxx being the speed you want it to feed.
February 28, 2016 09:28AM
This one is easy. You just need to figure out how far the drive needs to turn to get filament from the extruder drive and write start gcode that extrudes that much filament, waits for heat-up, then extrudes a little more and either waits for you to pull the extrudate off and launch the continuation of the print or goes to a purge canister that you'd have to design. Then you'd need end gcode to do the converse.
February 28, 2016 02:35PM
IMBoring25
This one is easy. You just need to figure out how far the drive needs to turn to get filament from the extruder drive and write start gcode that extrudes that much filament, waits for heat-up, then extrudes a little more and either waits for you to pull the extrudate off and launch the continuation of the print or goes to a purge canister that you'd have to design. Then you'd need end gcode to do the converse.
The only thing with that is that I'd want it to do it automatically. How the Robox does it is you use the software and tell it you're going to load filament. Then it uses a sensor to tell when you've inserted the filament. It then pulls it to the extruder. Are you able to have custom buttons on simplify 3d that issues g-code? If so, that would be perfect.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2016 02:40PM by fatesalign.
February 28, 2016 05:40PM
I'm not familiar with simplify3d, but most host software has provision to associate custom buttons with a sequence of gcode. There are boards with provision for endstops for the extruder drive axes but I'm not sure how much custom work you'd be committing to to make them work in that way and you'd have to design the mount for the endstop on your extruder drive.
February 29, 2016 09:16AM
IMBoring25
I'm not familiar with simplify3d, but most host software has provision to associate custom buttons with a sequence of gcode. There are boards with provision for endstops for the extruder drive axes but I'm not sure how much custom work you'd be committing to to make them work in that way and you'd have to design the mount for the endstop on your extruder drive.
I could actually use it for two functions. One for loading the filament and second for filament detection so it pauses when it runs out. I can't believe I didn't think of using just and end stop. That shouldn't be too hard.
February 29, 2016 05:48PM
fatesalign
IMBoring25
I could actually use it for two functions. One for loading the filament and second for filament detection so it pauses when it runs out. I can't believe I didn't think of using just and end stop. That shouldn't be too hard.

This is industry shattering! I have been watching around for an 'Empty' condition handler.

Hmmm. I hear Tinkerbell waving her Tinkercad wand around.

Replikeo Prusa I3 Rework, Ramps 1.4, Marlin, Pronterface, Tinkercad.
Plan B is always to be somebody else.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login