Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Grease bearings?

Posted by drmaestro 
Grease bearings?
February 28, 2016 03:32PM
Hi,

I am trying to improve the printing quality of my printer. One of the problems I have is vibration. The device is too noisy and the Y carriage or the X carriage don't seem to slide easily, although the stepper can move them without a problem. There are two kinds of bearings used: The Y carriage uses SCe08UU type bearings and the X carriage uses LMe08UU type. My question is as follows: How can I make them slide smoothly. Can I grease them or is it counter-indicated?

Thanks..
Re: Grease bearings?
February 28, 2016 08:29PM
Those axes most likely belt driven you may be feeling the belts turning the steppers as you move them. If it was me I would undo each bearing from the carriage and slide them along the rods to see if they run smooth and replace any bad ones. You could take the bearing off the rod to get down inside to put some bearings grease in them but that won't help if they are worn or full of dirt. Check rods for wear marks. Or just put some 3 in 1 oil on rods and move carriages over it a few times. Vibration check belt tension and stepper drive current

rwt
February 29, 2016 09:51AM
I use Tamiya Molybdenum Grease in my old Makerbot and it still runs smooth (but this uses bushings not bearings). I am not sure about how it runs on linear bearings but I will be using it too for the prusa soon

My printers:
-Makerbot TOM (#5215, circa 2011), MK6 extruder, ABS 3 mm
-HICTOP Prusa i3 (modded for auto-level, thread screws), ABS/PLA 1.75 mm

About me:
[www.thingiverse.com]
February 29, 2016 11:14AM
Roger123D
Those axes most likely belt driven you may be feeling the belts turning the steppers as you move them. If it was me I would undo each bearing from the carriage and slide them along the rods to see if they run smooth and replace any bad ones. You could take the bearing off the rod to get down inside to put some bearings grease in them but that won't help if they are worn or full of dirt. Check rods for wear marks. Or just put some 3 in 1 oil on rods and move carriages over it a few times. Vibration check belt tension and stepper drive current

Thanks for the answers. Is the vibration caused by too much or too little current in driver?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login