Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MKS TFT28 with Ramp 1.4

Posted by Lymphomaniac1 
MKS TFT28 with Ramp 1.4
March 03, 2016 04:14PM
Has anybody gotten the MKS TFT28 touchscreen to work with a RAMPS 1.4 Board?

I purchased a MKS TFT28 touchscreen to work with my Prusa I3 using a Mega 2560 board with a RAMPS 1.4 Shield. The advertisement says that it works with a RAMPS 1.4 shield. The thing came with no firmware updates and almost no instructions. The only instructions the vendor gave me was to hook the MKS TFT28 to the AUX1 pins on the RAMPS board and the following:

"3.Firmware setting.
Boot setting: Booting -->setting-->connecting,choose the correct Baud rate.
Firmware upgrade: First copy the upgrade software to the root direction of SD card, then plug the SD card, next restart and it will automatic upgrade. Be careful, do not change the name of the software when you copy the upgrade software to the SD card."

Can anybody explain these firmware instructions in plain English. Where do I find this boot setting? Is it the Baud Rate Setting in the Marlin Configuration.h file?

Where do I find this firmware upgrade software? Does anybody know where I can download it from? What is the name of the software?

Any help will be most appreciated.

Stuart
Re: MKS TFT28 with Ramp 1.4
March 04, 2016 02:35AM
The full graphic display from RepRapDicount often is too much for the Atmega2560. Refreshing the screen takes 90% of the loop time. ( Marlin 1.01)
I'm wondering if the TFT has a different way of handling?
Where would you put the touchscreen routine? The TFT encrypts the touches itself and sends GCODE through AUX1?
How does Marlin know, you'll send Commands from AUX1 port instead of USB?
March 04, 2016 04:22AM
I read the instruction as to
1) connect the lcd to the ramps board
2) put some firmware file you got with the lcd into the root (main) directory on a sd card and put that sd card into the sd slot of the lcd
3) power the ramps and the lcd will load the firmware from the sd card into the lcd controller
4) power down
5) remove sd card
6) power up
7) lcd will start up showing some menu where you navigate into the settings menu, in that menu you enter the baud rate which I think will be the same baud rate you use to connect your printer to a pc (I think Marlin standard is 250000?)
May 08, 2016 12:02PM
j search a version of marlin with mks tft 1.2 with ramp 4 , have you idea where j download ?
May 10, 2016 07:25AM
@o_lampe This 'display' is a full micro controller, It doesn't add any load to the printer.

Consider this screen as equivalent of a cut down octoprint type setup (no linux... )

All touch screen functionality is handled inside the micro controller.

It really does plug into aux-1 on the ramps, but as they say you need to change the switch on the back and apply external power (drain on 5v line on ramps is to high, so it makes it own 5v etc from the 12v)
In the manual they say "Choose pin to 12V on power. Input 12V on power interface"

On the ramps aux-1 port is d1 and d0, which is the same pins as RX0 and TX0. Ie it bypasses the usb to serial converter and sends serial directly into the mega

It doesn’t need any changes to ramps firmware

When I looked last its didn’t support 250000 baud, That may have been fixed by now (just wasn’t a option on the list)
EDIT: does seem to be in the latest firmware

Can find lots of info and even graphics customization details here [github.com]

Edited 11 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2016 08:14AM by Dust.
January 09, 2017 04:19PM
Watch this

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login