Best Material for Central Carriage containing E3D V6 Hot end?
March 25, 2016 12:46AM
Hi!

I am looking to build an Ulticampy 3d printer, and since I am completely new to the world of 3d-printing, could someone advise out of which material the central carriage containing an E3D V6 hot end must be made of? It is categorized in the 3d-printed parts section, which implies ABS or PLA; however, the high temperatures associated with hot ends would easily melt both PLA and ABS.
Any suggestions?

Or would the portion of the hot end situated inside the plastic part be cool, since I noticed that the E3D V6 is usually used with a fan?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 01:35AM by 3DMachiner.
Re: Best Material for Central Carriage containing E3D V6 Hot end?
March 25, 2016 01:44AM
All of the hotends I have had (around 4 different ones) have all had an aluminum mount that then mounts to ABS plastic extruder. The top the hotend is not too hot for ABS but it is for PLA. Almost all extruders are made of ABS plastic on RepRap machines.
March 25, 2016 07:12AM
A 16mm rail clamp(2 types choose best one for your setup) grips the hotend perfectly, better than groove mount.
maybe carriage can stay plastic, though maybe you can make something from alu plate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 07:15AM by MechaBits.
March 25, 2016 10:35AM
With a genuine E3DV6 you can use PLA to mount it. I have mine being held by a mount made with PLA, since it was all I had at the time. The mount end on mine doesn't warm up much when printing ABS for several hours.
March 25, 2016 12:53PM
A 16mm rail clamp(2 types choose best one for your setup) grips the hotend perfectly, better than groove mount.
maybe carriage can stay plastic, though maybe you can make something from alu plate.

Thanks for replying smiling smiley

What are the 2 types of 16mm rail clamps you are referring to?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 12:54PM by 3DMachiner.
March 25, 2016 12:56PM
Thanks for the replies!
I guess ABS should work, and just to be safe, I won't use PLA, even if I have read some people have used it for the carriage.
March 26, 2016 05:28AM
the 2 types mount differently, one has all holes on same axis, the other has the 16mm hole 90 deg to the mount holes

search for 16mm shaft support.
Not quite the carriage you where looking for but might come in handy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2016 08:15AM by MechaBits.
March 27, 2016 07:38PM
MechaBits
the 2 types mount differently, one has all holes on same axis, the other has the 16mm hole 90 deg to the mount holes

search for 16mm shaft support.
Not quite the carriage you where looking for but might come in handy.

Awesome! Thanks smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login