DIY Hot-End for Geared Extruder - Basic tools only.
October 28, 2010 09:58AM
I made a New Hot-End last night loosly based on Adrians new model, but with a few changes to make it easier to make with just a Drill Press.
It also uses the raw material parts I could find on Ebay for a few £ instead of expensive stock.

Hopefully more people will try to make their own or maybe even design a Dual Hot-End Extruder... winking smiley

I first had a go at some heater blocks. -
On the left was an attempt to make a Clamp version, but it was a bit big and didn't clamp very well around due to the mass of Brass and the short cut slot.

In the middle was just about right, but I over-drilled the hole so tapping was not going to be good, but it was a easy part to make in the drill press and using HEX brass stock, note the small hole for the thermistor.

Clamped in Vice with level support under the PEEK then drilled with a Woodworking drill bit on the Drill press.

Repeat with the other holes in the PEEK (My spacing is to match the Aluminium clamp, and they are not the same as the mounting holes on the WADE extruder)

PTFE drilled with a 3.2mm hole and tapered (filed and sanded) to make a snug-fit into the bottom of the Extruder.

Remeber to dish the PTFE enrty hole so the filament can fint it's way into the hot-end easily.
And you need to Drill and tap (M6) a small way (I did 5mm) into the PFTE for the heater barrell, you don't need it to go a long way into the PTFE as the PEEK is doing all the support and most of the heat-sinking.

The Aluminum clamp provides support for the PEEK and aids to mechanical fixing to the Extruder and also constrains the PTFE . It also should help with Heat-sinking.

Just after I put this on the Blog I spotted that Giles Bathgate did a similar thing, nicely documented here - Extruder Nozzle Variations - (Giles Bathgate)

Maybe it’s worth putting up my attempt on the Wiki, but let me test it first… More info and pic's on the Blog.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
Re: DIY Hot-End for Geared Extruder - Basic tools only.
October 28, 2010 10:21AM
interesting.. Where did you get that clamp?
Re: DIY Hot-End for Geared Extruder - Basic tools only.
October 28, 2010 12:07PM
Hi Daniel

I got mine from Zapp Automation - [www.slidesandballscrews.com]

I may try this company next time I need some - [www.motioncontrolproducts.co.uk]

And this one on Ebay is 20mm - [cgi.ebay.co.uk]

They are known as 'round rail mounts' or as the ebay one 'spindle motor mount'

Let me know if you use one or find another use for one -

I was thinking about using one as the hot-end Heater-block, but at the moment it's easy enough to make one from Brass stock.
If I can find a 6mm or 8mm one I would like to make a Heater block that clamps instead of screws around the nozzle.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login