Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Plastic Parts Dimensions?

Posted by azredhawk44 
Plastic Parts Dimensions?
November 12, 2010 08:15PM
I'm trying to find the dimensions for the plastic parts to build a Mendel.

For example, I have found the repository for .aoi files. I have downloaded and installed Art of Illusion and opened "frame-vertex_6off.aoi".

However, I'm unable to determine dimensions of pieces, locations of holes and angles using Art of Illusion.

I don't want to pay what people are charging for Mendel plastic parts. (Though I won't be opposed to CHARGING people the current rate for Mendel parts once I have a functional Mendel!) I intend to make my initial parts out of wood, since I have a decent wood shop out back. It will cost me time... but that will keep me out of trouble. :-)

Where can I find the dimensions for the various plastic parts for Mendel, so I can begin hand-fabrication from wood?

ETA: About my background:

I'm a database administrator and sometimes-software-developer in Arizona, predominantly knowledgeable with Microsoft products but originally cut my teeth on programming with Linux/LAMP platforms. I've had good luck repairing and monkeying with various DC electronics products around the home my whole life, and have played with RC models in the past though its been a while. The Arduino concept has intrigued me recently and having a Mendel/RepRap/Fabricator is a waypoint on my way to building some robotic toys that I'd like to give a try.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2010 08:21PM by azredhawk44.
Re: Plastic Parts Dimensions?
November 12, 2010 08:23PM
http://reprap.org/wiki/Mendel/Drawings
has some drawings.

but, as per the note here:
http://reprap.org/wiki/Wooden_Mendel:

You should really build a http://reprap.org/wiki/WolfStrap out of wood, rather than a wooden mendel. (Mendel is optimized to be printed, not tablesawed. (Table sawn?))smileys with beer

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
November 13, 2010 04:31AM
If you just draw a dummy rectangle over/next to the part you can use that as a ruler. Same ofcourse with circels and triangles.

regards,
Tom
November 13, 2010 06:23AM
i use blender (free 3d program), then download a script which gives you a caliper tool, i think it's called caliper.py.

so run blender, open another window, change this window to text down the bottom right, open text file (caliper.py) run script (alt-P)

then save this project as a "caliper template" so yo dont have to always bother with above

then set the caliper to measure two vertices within one mesh, 1 blender unit = 1mm, will give measurements to the mm you should specify you want it to .0 of a mm

if its tricky selecting the vertices i go into edit mode, press B and select half the model and press H to hide it. then alt H to unhide i think.
November 13, 2010 08:50PM
was just about to suggest blender. caliper tool is great, but the standard mesh editor has an option to show lengths of selected edges for slightly less work to check something quickly. As for finding the center of holes, select a vertex on one side and a vertex on the other side, move cursor to center of these two, write down position of cursor. Alternatively, work it out from the position of one of the vertexes and the diameter.

I find it easiest to print the models out (see my blog) and measure with a ruler.

-----------------------------------------------
Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
November 15, 2010 06:07PM
SebastienBailard Wrote:

>(Mendel is optimized
> to be printed, not tablesawed. (Table sawn?))smileys with beer

I've got a jig saw, dremel tool and belt sander, and I've successfully made some other relatively intricate parts from wood in the past. I think I should be able to do everything but the gears (and maybe the extruder housing) using wood with little problem.

I don't even need to match most of the shape of the vertex pieces, for example. I just need the spacing, center to center, of the horizontal holes, and the angle and distance of the two pass-thru holes.

Is Mendel's frame an equilateral triangle, or isosceles?

FYI, I'm financially committed and not wasting anyone's time with idle questions. Just ordered my sanguino board, data cables and some NEMA 17 stepper motors to start in on understanding the Arduino code and working on producing a functional unit. Next time I'm at the hardware store I'll be getting my 8mm all-thread and smooth rod stock.

Very intent on joining this community of open source 3d printing.
November 16, 2010 02:42AM
azredhawk44
Is Mendel's frame an equilateral triangle, or isosceles?

Equilateral.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
November 16, 2010 04:01PM
I just use [www.materialise.com] for measuring STL's. It's free, though Windows only. It can measure point to point, line to line, circle center to circle center, or any combination of the above. It's quite useful.

Edit: can't remember if it can measure angles, but they would be easy to calculate using three point locations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 04:03PM by NewPerfection.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
November 19, 2010 12:00AM
hooray for trig!!
November 19, 2010 03:36PM
Easiest way is to just feed the printed part to Pepakura [www.tamasoft.co.jp] and print it out on your desktop printer. You can even fold it up to have a 3d representation of your printed part.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login