Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Removing a stripped screw on the hot-end

Posted by def_pri_pub 
Removing a stripped screw on the hot-end
May 07, 2016 07:56PM
Hi,

I have a kossel with a J-Head style hot end. There are two screws that take a hexagonal bit that fasted the thermoresistor to the hot end. My problem is that I think one of them is stripped and so i can't get it out. These screws are inside the block, so I don't know of any methods to get it out. I tried using some super glue to the bit but it didn't work.
Re: Removing a stripped screw on the hot-end
May 07, 2016 11:06PM
Dissolving the screw with Alum may work: [hackaday.com]
May 08, 2016 12:00AM
Search your local tool shop for "Easy Outs". they are spiral shanks that allow you to grab the hole of the setscrew. They come in sets with many sizes.
May 08, 2016 04:44PM
elwood127
Search your local tool shop for "Easy Outs". they are spiral shanks that allow you to grab the hole of the setscrew. They come in sets with many sizes.

Do they make them small enough to use on the tiny set screws in heater blocks? That sure would be useful to have.
May 08, 2016 09:44PM
I've found that Torx drivers in a size slightly above that of the hex that is stripped will work very well. The sharp points of the Torx will grab nicely in what's left of the stripped hex. I have a set of Torx drivers down to T3.
May 08, 2016 10:14PM
hoxsiew
I've found that Torx drivers in a size slightly above that of the hex that is stripped will work very well. The sharp points of the Torx will grab nicely in what's left of the stripped hex. I have a set of Torx drivers down to T3.

True - I've done that in the past. Other things - sometimes the end of the allen key rounds off. Taking a mm off on a grinding wheel can give it a new lease of life. And an oddity; dipping the allen key in fine valve lapping compound will often give it enough grip to engage a rounded out set screw.
May 12, 2016 10:56AM
I had a similar thing happen to me with my extruder motor, i was removing the plastic extruder parts and the m3 screw snapped right off, leaving the main part of the screw in the motor... DOH.

I tried a few things, WD40 to loosen the screw a bit and pliers to grab and try to remove it... didn't work. Then I tried to cut a notch in the end with the dremel and use a flat screwdriver... The small surface area of the M3 screw meant that this didn't work either, but I've had success doing this with M5 screws. What did work was flattening out the edges with the dremel as enough was exposed and then going back to it with pliers. I was thankful to get it out, meant I didn't have to replace a nema motor for the sake of a broken screw...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login