Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best method for cooling stepper drivers

Posted by drmaestro 
Best method for cooling stepper drivers
May 15, 2016 03:44AM
Hi,

I've recently made the transition to silent stepstick drivers and also the BLtouch for autobed leveling. The silent stepsticks tend to be hotter, especially on the Z axis, as it is constantly moving now due to bed leveling. I have encountred some erratic movements like shifting layers or missed steps in X , E and Z axis and I can't touch some of the steppers. I have tried lowering stepper voltage but they don't generate enough torque if I do so. I am trying to find the best method to cool stepper drivers. Right now they have their heatsinks and also there is a 40 mm fan but the flow of air is very weak and it can't cool all of the steppers at the same time. Do you have a recommendation for a cooling solution? Gadet3d seems to sell a fan mounting kit with a fan splitter for adding dual fans but their website isn't working right now.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2016 03:45AM by drmaestro.
Re: Best method for cooling stepper drivers
May 15, 2016 04:04AM
Water or liquid cooling would be the best method. I can't tell you if it's been invented for silent stepstick drivers smiling smiley
May 15, 2016 06:32AM
For the controller and stepper drivers you can use a 60-80mm/12V fan directly fed by the power supply. No need to feed it from a controller port.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2016 06:32AM by o_lampe.
May 16, 2016 06:17PM
I use 40x40x20mm fans. Plenty of cooling.
May 16, 2016 06:43PM
You can often run 12v fans on 5v to reduce noise and volume of air, I use only one 12v fan running on 5v to cool all 5 stepper drivers which are housed in an enclosure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login