Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Darwin Costs So Far...

Posted by degroof 
Darwin Costs So Far...
December 04, 2007 01:13PM
This morning, I tallied up the costs so far and came up with about $800. That's buying pretty much everything, rather than scrounging, molding, milling, etching etc.

All that's left are the RP/moulded parts and maybe a few odds and ends. I figure total cost will be somewhere in the region of $1200 by the time I'm done.

Rough cost breakdown:
$100 - Electronic components
$300 - Mechanical parts (off-the shelf nuts & bolts)
$200 - Motors
$ 50 - Printed circuit boards
$ 50 - Custom parts (extruder screw, etc.)
$400 - RP parts (estimated)
Re: Darwin Costs So Far...
December 04, 2007 01:24PM
i'll upload the price estimates i have made for the mcwire kit here later today. i think you'll like that alot more.
December 04, 2007 01:57PM
okay, here is the rough estimate (based on an intial run of 50 kits):

RepStrap v1.0
December 04, 2007 06:45PM
seems well below 400 EURO mark. The USD has declined substantially since this project started winking smiley
December 04, 2007 08:50PM
Yeah. I think Bernanke is finding out just why Greenspan wasn't open about his decisions.
That and the Euro is doing for European currency exactly what I think its creators were hoping for.
December 06, 2007 09:22AM
When we are self producing RP parts we will be at the $400.00 mark no problem as it stands today we should be able to do a complete inc electronics for

Ian
[www.bitsfrombytes.com]
December 09, 2007 08:19AM
So let me make sure I got this right. Here's the pricing break down as I see it so far.

from bitsfrombytes.com
December 09, 2007 08:30AM
--Jared

I don't think that you need to buy buy both the full molded parts kit and the extruder molded parts kit from bitsfrombytes. It seems like the moulded parts for the extruder are in the big molded parts purchase. so all you have to buy is the 10- quid extruder hardware stuff.

Jay
December 09, 2007 09:04AM
Great, so this is my updated list.

from bitsfrombytes.com
December 09, 2007 09:25AM
Oops forgot the drive belts. So here is another updated list.

from bitsfrombytes.com
December 09, 2007 09:44AM
You'll need to populate the PCBs as well. I'd say about $100 worth of components there. There are also miscellaneous nuts and bolts to hold the whole thing together.
December 09, 2007 02:13PM
Hmm, Pretty expensive. I'd still go with the McWire RepStrap or some other such device until we can print these pieces instead of casting them.

Demented
December 11, 2007 03:48AM
Hmmm, did I forget the toothed pulleys as well. Where do you get those?
December 11, 2007 04:04AM
They are in the moulded parts, trying to keep the cost down thumbs up. The moulded parts also include all the captive M5 nuts & the extruder now has cast in bearings saving on the half bearings

Ian
[www.bitsfrombytes.com]
December 11, 2007 08:42AM
Ian,

Nice job with the cast-in bearings! Very sweet.

Demented
December 11, 2007 06:38PM
Here's what I get, based on your quotes and estimating the additional electronics and hardware costs. I used an exchange rate of
December 12, 2007 04:41AM
Yeah that's a bit higher, wouldn't surprise me if it's a bit more realistic as well. It's a bit outside of my grasp right now.

I believe the electronics BOM is in the CVS, I've also heard that digikey and Newark can hold BOMs for people to order from. My understanding is that you go to a web page with the BOM, where you can add, subtract, ect. Then you check out and give them your credit card. Anyone know if this type of BOM can exist? If so has it been done yet?

I see tools like [www.taigtools.com] for $675.00. and servo systems from [www.cadcamcadcam.com] for $675. If I decided to drop a grand into something like this, I'd probably go with an option that allowed for milling capabilities. Perhaps someone will start making the parts with Darwin and selling them at lower costs, given some time.
December 12, 2007 11:50AM
A complete Darwin kit is expected to be about

Ian
[www.bitsfrombytes.com]
December 12, 2007 09:41PM
Ian Adkins Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A complete Darwin kit is expected to be about
>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login