Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which hotend for my prusa i3?

Posted by knastkoenig 
Which hotend for my prusa i3?
July 17, 2016 04:24AM
Today my stock hotend from my prusa i3 finally broke.
As you can see on the attached picture the thermal coupler cable disattached right at the coupler / no chance for me to repear.
Anyhow, i had a lot of issues with jammend filament and wanted to change to a better hottend for quite some time.

Question is: whats the best Allrounder hotend for my Printer? I do only 1,74mm PLA as i dont have a headed bed.

I found the merlin hotend, a new revision of an all stainless steel prusa hotend and the E3D V6 so far.

Would be greatful for any tip you can get me. As i live in germany it would be good to choose a hotend which can be bought here to save time, taxes and shiping costs...

Thanks
David
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpeg (342 KB)
Re: Which hotend for my prusa i3?
July 17, 2016 05:09AM
All metal hot ends are for high temp materials and tend to jam on PLA

I would stick to something with PTFE liner for PLA
July 17, 2016 11:14AM
A genuine E3DV6, so far it has worked great with ABS, PLA and PETG.
July 18, 2016 12:55PM
Thanks a lot for your replies!
That means a E3DV6 would most likely work for me (not full- metal plus PTFE liner).
Next dtep is to find a dealer....

Regards
David
July 24, 2016 05:55AM
Hi again,

After a bit more internet research i now think the E3Dv6 doesnt fit into my prusa i3 hephestos as this design has no bowden extruder but an extruder which is directed mounted to the print head.....
Is there any hephestos specific hotend i can use plug and play, or do i have to modify my entire printer?

Thanks snd regards
David
July 24, 2016 07:45AM
knastkoenig
Hi again,

After a bit more internet research i now think the E3Dv6 doesnt fit into my prusa i3 hephestos as this design has no bowden extruder but an extruder which is directed mounted to the print head.....
Is there any hephestos specific hotend i can use plug and play, or do i have to modify my entire printer?

Thanks snd regards
David

You don't need a Bowden extruder and the E3D V6 will fit exactly the same as a J_Head does ie into a 16mm Dia recess in the Extruder body/mount? I used exactly that arrangement on my I3 with a Wades extruder.

Doug
July 24, 2016 04:01PM
Hi Doug,

Seems like there are different versions of the i3 out there....with different extruders. Do you have the hephestos as well?
I attached a picture of my print head
I'm in vacation currently but as far as i recall i have a 8-10mm extruder diameter which fits into the print head. So the 16mm E3D won't match...or am i wrong?

Regards
David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2016 04:06PM by knastkoenig.
July 24, 2016 06:27PM
I'm using the Prometheus V2 and it has been awesome. It has an adjustable cool zone for speed and or accuracy. One piece stainless nozzle with ptfe liner. I did add a second fan so that one blows through the fins and one sucks. Has never jammed internally with PLA or ABS. Keep in mind also that if your new hotend is at all different in length you may need to print a new Z endstop mount that will adjust to give it clearance.
July 25, 2016 02:45PM
elwood127
I'm using the Prometheus V2 and it has been awesome. It has an adjustable cool zone for speed and or accuracy. One piece stainless nozzle with ptfe liner. I did add a second fan so that one blows through the fins and one sucks. Has never jammed internally with PLA or ABS. Keep in mind also that if your new hotend is at all different in length you may need to print a new Z endstop mount that will adjust to give it clearance.

Do you have a picture of your setup? I might be too stupid but i have no idea how this will fit into my extruder....

Thanks
David
July 26, 2016 12:38AM
I design a new X carriage. As far as I know it uses a standard J head clamp. If interested in the parts for this go to [www.thingiverse.com]
I have a couple different holders.

July 27, 2016 06:21PM
I am using a DYZEnd hotend with a wade's extruder on my p3steel ( prusa steel). It comes with a steel nozzle with is more durable when printing abrasive materials like carbon fiber and can theoretically reach 420C in an non enclosed printer. Mine reached about 380-390C. Just like the e3d v6 it is an all metal hotend but much easier to assemble.

EDIT: If you only print in PLA then a J-Head hotend would suffice and you wouldn't need an all metal hotend I believe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2016 06:24PM by blahhh10.
July 28, 2016 05:23PM
Thanks for your tips Elwood127 and blahhh10.
I really like the design of that new designed x carrige and will certaily print it out to test it!
My only issue is that my hotend is broke and i can't use my Printer....thats why i looked for an easy replacement (with improved quality) for the stock hotend of the prusa i3 hephestos.
As I'm back from vacation now, i measured the diameter of the original hotend, which is pluged into the print head: 6mm.

Isnt there any hot end available that can be used for this printer without modifications?
If not i need to get Adapters printed to use one of the already proposed hot ends, but no clue how or where....

Regads
David
July 28, 2016 05:27PM
knastkoenig
Thanks for your tips Elwood127 and blahhh10.
I really like the design of that new designed x carrige and will certaily print it out to test it!
My only issue is that my hotend is broke and i can't use my Printer....thats why i looked for an easy replacement (with improved quality) for the stock hotend of the prusa i3 hephestos.
As I'm back from vacation now, i measured the diameter of the original hotend, which is pluged into the print head: 6mm.

Isnt there any hot end available that can be used for this printer without modifications?
If not i need to get Adapters printed to use one of the already proposed hot ends, but no clue how or where....

Regads
David

David

Where are you there are many enthusiasts out here that would be willing to print the parts for you at a reasonable cost. Location helps in determining that cost?

Doug.

If you could post the mounting arrangment of your Carrige it would also help (they are not all the same fitting's unfortunately)
July 29, 2016 02:05AM
Hi Doug,

I'm from germany / close to Frankfurt am Main.
Unfortunately i don't know any other with a 3D printer who could help me printing the adapter parts for a new / different hot end.

Two pictures of my carrier attached.

Regards
David
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpeg (422.1 KB)
July 30, 2016 10:00AM
So I noticed you said Hephesthos Prusa i3. I see that they come with a Witbox extruder. Since you only seem to need the hotend check out this link which I believe has the hephestos hotend [store.bq.com] or maybe it is compatible with a diamond hotend [reprap.org]. Hope this helps
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login