Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I'm pretty sure I'm going to die because of how good this print turned out.smoking smiley

Posted by n8bot 
I'm pretty sure I'm going to die because of how good this print turned out.smoking smiley
August 29, 2016 05:36PM

More pics: [imgur.com]

I designed and built a custom Delta last year, using berrybot parts (shopspt.com) and misumi stuff as well as some chinese junk. I'm currently working on an even better printer, a cartesian, but I've got this one tuned pretty well.

80 micron layers, e3d v6, PLA, duet 0.8.5, 400 micron nozzle, PEI print surface, 94 hour print time (looking to improve with the new printer/push this printer to the limits)

I don't know about you, but I would say the only advantage SLA has over FDM is speed, and a very tiny miniscule advantage in surface quality that is being approached upon more and more by FDM machines.
Re: I'm pretty sure I'm going to die because of how good this print turned out.smoking smiley
August 30, 2016 01:08PM
Very, very nice! Congratulations and well done.
Re: I'm pretty sure I'm going to die because of how good this print turned out.smoking smiley
August 30, 2016 02:47PM
I wish I could trust my printer to run that long on a print!
Longest I have had is about 7 hours.
August 30, 2016 03:51PM
Thanks for the positive comments.

Why can't you trust your printer? I have admittedly had a few failures, but I've slowly figured out how to work out those wrinkles. The important part is being able to be near the printer for so long. I do go out on occasion, but only with a means of monitoring and stopping the printer, and when I'm confident it will not fail.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2016 03:51PM by n8bot.
August 30, 2016 04:09PM
Most of what I print is under 6 hours anyways but I just dont like leaving the house knowing that there is something humming along that can fail with nothing stopping it.
If I had a cam to monitor or something then I would feel better about it.
August 30, 2016 07:18PM
Pretty soon I would like to have a small print farm where I can employ people so that there is somebody "around" 24 hours during printing.
August 31, 2016 01:48AM
I'm not sure if that was spam, or an honest suggestion, but no thanks. I design and build my own printers. That's the fun part.
August 31, 2016 02:17AM
Wow! That's awesome, great job on the printer, scan and print job.
August 31, 2016 05:16AM
n8bot
80 micron layers, e3d v6, PLA, duet 0.8.5, 400 micron nozzle, PEI print surface, 94 hour print time (looking to improve with the new printer/push this printer to the limits)

If you are looking to increase the speed, then a change I made to RepRapFirmware yesterday will help maintain speed when printing irregular perimeters. it's not released yet but there is a preview at [dl.dropboxusercontent.com]. It's based on release 1.15b, so read the release notes for that before you install it.

What scanner did you use?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2016 05:17AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 31, 2016 02:23PM
Actually, some changes you had already made a few weeks back allowed me to print this with only 58 or so underruns, which was good compared to the tests I did before updating the firmware. Right now, the limitation is not the firmware at all, but the mechanics of my delta (with the stepper on the effector). I could probably go higher, but things start to get hairy... That said, I might try the new firmware after I get some client prints out of the way.

I'm designing a cartesian that I think will be faster (while still having essentially zero ringing artifacts) although still slower than most printers. I think I'll use the 0.8.5 in the cartesian with a duex5 until the new duexn comes out.

The scanning was done by a professional company in a 100+ DSLR full body-scanning mobile rig. PixelLightEffects.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2016 02:25PM by n8bot.
August 31, 2016 10:22PM
I am impressed man, good job!

What do you have in mind for your cartesian that would make it better then your Delta?

I am currently finishing my custom mendelmax 1.5 , need to take a new photo though, its no longer up to date.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20160630_030253.jpg (414.4 KB)
September 01, 2016 01:03AM
Govahnator

What do you have in mind for your cartesian that would make it better then your Delta?

I am currently finishing my custom mendelmax 1.5 , need to take a new photo though, its no longer up to date.

Thank you! The main things for the new cartesian are: increased rigidity, increased resolution, linear resolution (vs the dynamic resolution of a delta), better components.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2016 01:04AM by n8bot.
September 01, 2016 01:35AM
n8bot
Govahnator

Thank you! The main things for the new cartesian are: increased rigidity, increased resolution, linear resolution (vs the dynamic resolution of a delta), better components.

I ordered some chrome rods to replace my current steel ones, who keep rusting, and im replacing all bearings in x and z to long ones, so there is only 1 bearing per rod.
Let's hope that makes the axis more smooth.

You will go for linear rails?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2016 02:00AM by Govahnator.
September 01, 2016 02:36AM
Yes I will be using square profile linear guides from misumi for all my axes on the cartesian.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2016 02:37AM by n8bot.
September 01, 2016 03:33AM
Just out of curiosity, what size is the print? Is it 1:1 scale? Also, what size are the stl and gcode files?
September 01, 2016 12:26PM
deckingman
Just out of curiosity, what size is the print? Is it 1:1 scale? Also, what size are the stl and gcode files?

Yes, 1:1 scale. It's hard to measure the shape exactly, but the foot print in x/y was about 250mm total. The STL (OBJ actually) is 580 MB, the gcdoe file was just under 500 MB. I think I mentioned elsewhere that the gcdoe file was 1 GB, but that was when I sliced it at 40 micron layers. I never printed that one, as 80 micron seemed reasonable.
September 14, 2016 03:12PM
Holy expletive! I pulled up the image full res and I can barely see the layers. The pores in the skin on the other hand are well defined. I wouldn't have recognized that as fdm, nor have believed it was possible. Was there any surface finishing post-print?
September 14, 2016 03:27PM
JamesK
Holy expletive! I pulled up the image full res and I can barely see the layers. The pores in the skin on the other hand are well defined. I wouldn't have recognized that as fdm, nor have believed it was possible. Was there any surface finishing post-print?

All I did was break away the support material from the ears, not even a little bit of surface clean up, this is directly off the printer. I was also pretty amazed at the results. Thanks. I'm going to be getting another scan done, of myself this time, so I can make a mission impossible style silicone mask.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2016 03:28PM by n8bot.
September 16, 2016 09:51AM
they dont call them death masks for nothin....the end is nigh

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login