Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2.54mm crimp connectors for ramps

Posted by rsussman 
2.54mm crimp connectors for ramps
September 05, 2016 12:38PM
Hello,

I have a Prusa kit (MakerFarm Pegasus) and the stepper motors came pre-wired with four-pin connectors to plug into the Ramps board. To clean up (and shorten) the wiring I'd like to attach new connectors.

Searching, I found a recommendation to get these female crimp connectors from Harwin:

[www.digikey.com]

I ordered the above part, however the above female rectangular "socket" connectors seem too loose when pushed onto the male rectangular pins on the ramps board. The result is that the stepper motor connector is not secure and slides right off of the pins on the ramps board.

The connectors that were originally on the stepper motor wires grip very tightly on the ramps header pins. They have very similar dimensions but when comparing the above Harwin connector and the original connector side-by-side the original one does look like a tighter / cleaner "square" for the header pin to mate to.

Perhaps there is an equivalent part from another vendor that grips tighter? Perhaps I got a bad batch? Perhaps I'm not crimping these properly and part of the crimp process would cause these to grip tighter?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Rob
Re: 2.54mm crimp connectors for ramps
September 05, 2016 03:34PM
Pleas don't take my word for it as I neither have or intend to get Ramps.
But I think Ramps uses Molex SL connectors..
September 06, 2016 02:37PM
I use this kit on Amazon: [www.amazon.com]
September 06, 2016 02:49PM
Great, thanks for the link to that kit on Amazon. I'll give that a try!

Would you happen to have a recommendation on the crimp tool for the job? I've purchased this one, but it's not clear if it's okay for these 2.54mm connectors:

[www.amazon.com]

Thanks again,
Rob
September 06, 2016 03:04PM
That crimp should do the job

If you are still having probs with grip etc you could get Hitachi Connector Set and replace the Headers on the Ramps Board

At least you will know that the Headers and connector pins will be compatible

Doug
September 06, 2016 03:09PM
> That crimp should do the job

Great, thanks Doug!

> If you are still having probs with grip etc you could get Hitachi Connector Set and replace the Headers on the Ramps Board

Good idea. Hopefully I won't have to do that, but it is a good backup plan. I've already ordered that set -- it's the same one that Stephen linked to above. Funny how their name "Hilitchi" looks just like "Hitachi" when reading quickly. I'm sure that's no accident and probably has served them well. winking smiley

Rob
September 06, 2016 03:58PM
The one you have should work fine. I bought these with the kit: [www.amazon.com]
September 07, 2016 04:14AM
I dont understand,

Why don't you just shorten the wires and use the original connectors?
September 07, 2016 08:10AM
> Why don't you just shorten the wires and use the original connectors?

That's certainly an option. But, if I can reliably crimp on new connectors then I'd end up with a cleaner result. I'm also interested in learning how to crimp on these connectors, just for the sake of improving my skills. smiling smiley

Rob
September 09, 2016 07:52AM
The Hilitchi Connectors arrived and they work just fine for the task. The insulation on the stepper motor wires is a little thick so I had to carefully compress the end a bit so they would insert into the connector housing. But, they seem to work just fine. Thanks for all the recommendations everyone!

Rob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login