Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trying bowden ( e3d v6)

Posted by Govahnator 
Trying bowden ( e3d v6)
September 19, 2016 11:17PM
Hi guys,

I am trying to setup a bowden system,

The problem is when the filament (3mm) is in the heatbreak (e3d v6), it blocks when going from the m7 side to the m6 side and won't go trough ( if i aim the filament right manually it can go past it but ofcourse when using the tubing system the filament isn't going straight and blocks there.

The m6 part of the heatbreak is large enough, i can load the filament just fine if i push it through from the m6 side to the m7 side.

And when the filament enters the hot-end body hole (so when it leaves the Pneufit adapter) i have to push harder to get it past there, wich probably won't really be a problem.

Anyone else had these problems? also, i had to drill out the inner of the Pneufit adapter that fits on the extruder to get 3mm filament through does everyone have to do this??

I am using the blue Pneufit adapter's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:34PM by Govahnator.
Re: Trying bowden.
September 19, 2016 11:31PM
I just realized when using 1.75 mm the teflon tube goes actually in the heatbreak so the problems i have won't exist.

How is it done with 3mm? I am very confused
September 20, 2016 01:04PM
You don't state what hotend you are using, so how are we supposed to help you?
September 20, 2016 04:33PM
Oops, I thought i edited the post already :/

Sorry, it's an e3d v6 style hot end.

With 1.75 mm variants, the teflon tube goes from the adaptor straight into the m7 part of the heatbreak.

But what to do with 3mm? It uses 6mm teflon tube, wich ofcourse doesn't fit into the heatbreak and is set against the entrance hole of the heatsink, because of this the filament blocks in the part of the heatbreak where it goes from m7 to m6.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:36PM by Govahnator.
September 20, 2016 05:42PM
Oh, right I guess I could have guessed that. I don't have experience with the 3mm e3d hotend, but it is specifically a different product. Are you trying to use the 1.75mm hotend with 3mm filament?
Re: Trying bowden ( e3d v6)
September 20, 2016 06:08PM
I have a question. You're using an official (not knock off) e3d aluminum heatsink? I ask because their 3mm bowden or direct version doesn't appear to be designed to allow use of a threaded pneumatic fitting. On the direct version, the inlet has a chamfer to guide the filament. On the bowden version they use an embeded pneumatic coupler.

They put a chamfer at every transition to guide the filament. You shouldn't feel any resistance.

I had a similar issue with a different hotend, though it was designed to accept an M6 pneumatic fitting. When installed the bowden tube would only go to a certain point and there would be a gap where the filament would catch before entering the heatsink.

It sounds like your heatsink doesn't allow you to thread the pneumatic fitting into it plus doesn't have a chamfer You've got some type of adapter made to attach the pneumatic fitting to the heatsink somehow? Sounds like that would be a good cause for a jam.

Can you drill the pneumatic fitting to allow the entire bowden tube to slide through? Generally as stock, only the filament would slide through. But what you actually want is to drill that fitting to so the entire bowden tube goes through it, down into the heatsink a few mm or at least butts up directly against it. I'd make sure there's a chamfer on the entrance to the heatsink.

I'd also make sure the heatbreak is screwed all the way into the heatsink and that there's no gap inside at that transition for filament to catch on. And of course follow their normal procedure for tightening the nozzle while hot to not have a gap between the heatbreak and nozzle.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 06:25PM by FA-MAS.
September 20, 2016 06:30PM
I am using a 3mm e3d v6 clone, the direct ones are idem to the original, the bowden version is not. It is threadet to accept such a coupler.

I removed the plastic part before drilling and drilled out the pneumatic coupler so the teflon tube gets to the hole of the heatsink. I also drilled out the hole of the coupler for the extruder, it was to small to let filament through.

It is when the filament is already in the heatbreak that it really blocks, because it is designed to have the 1.75 mm teflon in the m7 part of the heatbreak, if the transition would be chamferd, i would not have this problem.

So i wonder why the 3mm version aren't differently made, i can't be the only one with this problem.

The orginal e3d uses another coupler, but this doesn't prevent the heatbreak problem like i am having i suppose.

Picture of hot end added.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 06:35PM by Govahnator.
Attachments:
open | download - E3D-v6-Bowden-extruder.jpg (13.5 KB)
September 20, 2016 06:39PM
Okay, so you should have said it's a knockoff... ie nothing like the real one. Telling us you have an e3d v6, when you don't, is fairly useless.
September 20, 2016 07:21PM
i did that intentionally,

I didn't want people to start over the fact that it is a clone, while it being different has nothing to do with my problem nor my question..

Btw, if i load the filament manually and then then place the teflon in the coupler, i guess i could print. But i suppose you should be able to load filament through the teflon tube.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 07:57PM by Govahnator.
September 21, 2016 11:21AM
Aside from the one between the pneumatic fitting and the heatsink, I would think that your only transitions would be from the heatsink to the heatbreak and between the heatbreak and the nozzle. Possibly due to poorly drilled heatbreak or nozzle. You may be able to get around one of them by adding a chamfer on the top end of the heatbreak that way there isn't a lip of any type for filament to catch. The transition to the nozzle, you may have to try another nozzle. You'll not want to chamfer that one cause it'll add a space for melted filament to go.
September 21, 2016 06:06PM
second FA-Mas observation. also add of the three variants of heatbreaks the latest are partially lined " towards the nozzle with 3mm 2mmID, leaving the inlet metal with a shallow chamfer, didn't mind so much with the all lined as you add your own chamfer to the liner, either way I found it best to straighten up the fila and cut a real fine point sharp spear passes every time.
September 22, 2016 10:05AM
Thanks for the replys,

Well like i said, the filament blocks in the heatbreak.. because normally in the 1.75 mm version of the hot end, the tpfe tube is 4mm, and it goes through the coupler, into the body , into the m7 part of the heatbreak.
Since the tpfe tube for 3 mm filament is 6mm it can't enter the m7 part of the heatbreak. Does anyone know what is done with the 3mm version of the hot end, and why it also has an m7 part of the heatbreak while the ptfe can't enter it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2016 10:12AM by Govahnator.
September 22, 2016 10:41AM
The PTFE tube goes past the coupling into the heatsink a bit and stops far before the transition to the heatbreak. Take a look at the drawing. Looks like the throat screws in 18mm, then there's 12 mm before you see the filament entry from the coupler.

E3D v6 3mm Bowden Drawing

It's all M6 btw. The reason PTFE can go all the way down in the 1.75mm version is because the M6 stock is able to be drilled to accept the 4mm tube and still have material surrounding. Anything bigger, say 6mm tube wouldn't work cause it couldn't be drilled out.

If it's catching somewhere, something isn't drilled right and you've got an edge for it to catch on. If you're able to push filament down and it stops in the heatblock. it'd be the transition from the throat to nozzle. Probably the nozzle drilled off center or the heatbreak is drilled crooked.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2016 10:46AM by FA-MAS.
September 22, 2016 01:27PM
aha!

This shows the 3mm bowden version as all m6. While on the e3d website, if you click on 3mm bowden full kit, it shows a m7/m6 heatbreak the same one as for 1.75 mm.

Indeed the problem i am having would be fixed if my heatbreak and body would be all m6.

They put a wrong picture, no wonder i was confused [e3d-online.com].

Also, this means that the 1.75mm bowden is temp limited , since it has teflon in the heatbreak.

So the solution is very simple, i need to buy a 3 mm genuine bowden body.

Thanks FA-MAS

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2016 01:27PM by Govahnator.
September 26, 2016 11:12AM
I bought a spare throat, thought it was M6 all the way...when it arrived it was M7 at the top, I was going to source a heatsink to match but they dont seem to come with thread at top for pneumatic fitting...after reading the hassle your having I might just ditch this throat...but the ptfe in this one passes the heatbreak.
September 27, 2016 05:02AM
MechaBits
I bought a spare throat, thought it was M6 all the way...when it arrived it was M7 at the top, I was going to source a heatsink to match but they dont seem to come with thread at top for pneumatic fitting...after reading the hassle your having I might just ditch this throat...but the ptfe in this one passes the heatbreak.

I haven't seen those heatsink's being sold appart.
The reason my ptfe break doesn't fit in the heatbreak is because i use 3 mm filament (6mm ptfe).
I suppose you use 1.75 mm. If i would use 1.75 mm filament the bowden setup would work just fine out of the box.

If you are from Europe maybe we can arrange something, i am from Belgium . I have such heatsink's , hot end's etc around , going to put them on ebay soon.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2016 09:07AM by Govahnator.
October 17, 2016 04:51PM
The problem isn't with the hot end but after reading it sounds like you are trying to use 3mm filament in a hot end designed to run 1.75mm?

The only way is to drill out all the way down through to the Nozzle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2016 05:06PM by Rlewisrlou666.
October 17, 2016 06:12PM
Well the hot end is indeed designed for 1.75mm, but came with a 3mm heatbreak and heatsink hole. So it was designed by someone who doesn't know what he was doing.
I found a heatsink however wich is made for direct drive but has m6 tap for the small coupler, i used this now as bowden and it works fine.

Rlewisrlou666
The problem isn't with the hot end but after reading it sounds like you are trying to use 3mm filament in a hot end designed to run 1.75mm?

The only way is to drill out all the way down through to the Nozzle.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login