Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Riddle me this Batman

Posted by elwood127 
Riddle me this Batman
September 25, 2016 12:28AM
Why, all of a sudden is this printing with two different looking areas (top and bottom). A slight ridge at division line (only on outside). Tried redoing surface of drawing with "Surface from Planar curves" and "Sweep two rails" and "Patch" with the same result. Temps stay consistent throughout print. I'm baffled.

Re: Riddle me this Batman
September 25, 2016 01:36AM
Filament was dryer at the center of the spool? Or temperature that far from the bed is lower??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2016 01:38AM by etfrench.
September 25, 2016 03:25AM
It does this every time you print it?
If so then it's not a change in the filament.

It's a sharp change, so I'm thinking maybe you have a slowdown setting enabled in your slicer (for Slic3r: Filament settings, Slow Down...)

My printer: Raptosaur - Large Format Delta - [www.paulwanamaker.wordpress.com]
Can you answer questions about Calibration, Printing issues, Mechanics? Write it up and improve the Wiki!
September 25, 2016 06:16AM
hello friend
September 25, 2016 03:52PM
Printed this twice and got exact same look at the exact same height. I'm going to try again with a fan and see what happens. Have printed many of these in the past with no problems. I'll be back.
September 25, 2016 05:37PM
I wonder if it has anything to do with the comment I made in the other thread?
bottom part looks great....

perhaps the power of the pyramid is focused more to the tip...or its sharpening your trapezoids smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2016 05:38PM by MechaBits.
September 25, 2016 09:56PM
The original drawing was a very thin wall and though flimsy it always printed beautifully. I redrew it doubling the wall thickness to make it more durable. I noticed in Slic3r print preview that the boundary between the top and bottom is visible. This print was with Cura and though the division line is still slightly visible and there is a tiny ridge at the division line it came out much better with the exception of the crappy top and inside. I got the same crappy top before adjusting my stepper voltages yesterday. Smooth tops until the Cura print. Odd. I'm printing the thin wall version write now to see what happens.

September 25, 2016 10:16PM
looks more like a temp thing there.
September 25, 2016 10:36PM
After I'm done trying the thin wall version I'm going to print the thicker one with all "Perimeter" speeds the same to see if Mr. Wannamaker is right. Large and small perimeter settings were 40mm/sec and 20mm/sec. Not sure what Slic3r considers small but should be interesting to see what happens. I've posted the lamp if you guys want to slice this yourself. Look closely at the print preview and see if line is visible.
[www.thingiverse.com]

P.s. thin wall print is smooth at that point right now.
September 26, 2016 10:05AM
MechaBits
looks more like a temp thing there.

I would agree, either increase cooling as it gets near the top or slow down the print speed or place a tower next to it, so that it moves away from the main print which will increase the print time for each layer.
It's over heating due to the short time it's on each layer which doesn't allow the previous layer to cool enough to support the next one.

Supporting 3D Printers with Parts and Build services.
Printer: Ormerod 2 (528.4) Duel extruder set-up with Aluminium X-Rib, RRPro Firmware v1.11-ch (2016-04-08)
September 26, 2016 02:13PM
Well, you were right to a point. Sides came out even but top was lumpy again. The thin wall version came out perfect. Thanks for all of the input.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login