Will Rambo mini firware run on Ramps?
October 14, 2016 10:57AM
I'm looking to update my outdated Prusa i3 firmware from a self-built machine I made 3 years ago. I was wondering if the official Prusa i3 plus firmware would be compatible with ramps? Thanks!

Regards,
Kevin
Re: Will Rambo mini firware run on Ramps?
October 14, 2016 11:58PM
yes and no...

I can be ported, new pins.h etc but there is no support for ramps inbuilt.

BUT if you do port it you lose a few things

PWM control of stepper current, so your stepper current is back to being sent manually. (no quiet mode)
Your also back to standard pololu modules with insufficient cooling.
one less mosfet
good mosfets, your back to the sub par crappy mosfets on ramps
current limit on driver IC VCC
Microstep mode configured by MCU through firmware, your are back to using jumpers

It cant be direcly upload onto a ramps, if that’s what your thinking.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2016 01:48AM by Dust.
October 17, 2016 10:20AM
Hi Dust,

Thanks for that. I was hoping for an easy transition. Maybe I should just upgrade my electronics. Can you suggest somewhere to get a cheap (possibly Chinese Rambo)? I wan't to keep this printer relevant without spending a great deal that could be used to buy a more up to date printer.

Kev
December 14, 2016 08:27PM
if you have a ramps board and an arduino mega just recompile new firmware onto it marlin or repetier with new settings you need not sure if there is really one super board out there
December 14, 2016 08:47PM
@Roger123D

he is talking specifically about official Prusa i3 plus firmware, which have features that are not in standard marlin or repetier (at least not yet)

IE The auto X/Y calibration stuff based on the special marks embedded into the heated bed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login