Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Modular 3D Printer Project

Posted by AMCE 
Modular 3D Printer Project
October 16, 2016 03:02AM
Haven't looked, but I doubt that this is the first time it has been brought up.

I am an engineering student that is about to start work on a modular printer concept. I want to be able to create printer 'cartridges' that can be removed with minimal effort (Less than 3 connectors hopefully, perhaps a clip mechanism for the modules) and replaced with other 'cartridges.' Yes, I know, how original. But I don't feel like taking the easy way out and buying one that can do what I want it to do. <3

Also want to make the entire project printable and large (300mm cube) and super stable.

So I come with a few questions:
What fun ideas are there for cartridges? I was thinking of a PCB etcher (See PCB Drill and Etching for details).
What are some ways I could make it super adjustable but super sturdy/stable at the same time?
What other features could I add to concur those little faults that different printers have?

Happy printing~!!
~Audrey
Re: Modular 3D Printer Project
October 16, 2016 04:39AM
AMCE

Also want to make the entire project printable and large (300mm cube) and super stable.

Pick any one of the above and you may be successful.
October 16, 2016 04:14PM
What exactly to you mean by cartridge? a toolhead that can be switched easy? Can you put everything I one 2x10 connector. Tom Sanladrer (YT) has mentioned making one plug/connector for all his machine so he can swop different hotends incl cooling and z probe.

Q1: The cnc incl pcb drill needs a cnc frame and thats why you see so few "swappable toolsheads" on 3d printer frames. Lasers might be "fun" but are probably also better served on a cnc frame, not mentioning the whole trouble with fume extraction and safty. Multicolor toolheads are already in development, as are food extrusion, maybe pellet extrusion based on richraps groundwork could be worth a shot.
Q2: Dont "invent" another printer, there are enough things you can improve besides the toolheads instead of reinventing the wheel. PM me if you need inspiration, I work with schools and universities and regularly assign them "research topics".
Q3: There are 100 faults stemming from 100 components all interacting to make a print, so that cant be answered like that
October 16, 2016 05:22PM
Not entirely sure what you're asking, but if it is interchangeable toolheads there are many things you can add.

Pellet extruder
Scalpel attachment for making stencils
pen plotter
Light CNC (dremel attachment)
laser (cutting, SLA?? SLS?! Probably not..... )

There are many problems with making a machine in this way.
-- An interchangeable toolhead may be too big, and impact on your usable build area.
-- Attaching a dremel will get in the way of the upper frame of your printer.
-- CNC machines make mess, whereas 3D printers like a clean working area, will saw dust get in your extruder, bearings etc.
-- Laser has safety issues
-- Is there software and electronics that support all uses? Perhaps, but may require some work
-- Super sturdy is not the issue, that's easy. But light and sturdy is a bit harder. CNC machines have heavy moving parts as they don't need to move that fast. 3D printers like to pick up the pace a bit
-- Easily and accurately replacing the toolheads is much more valuable. I wouldn't want to re-calibrate just because you swapped out a tool. You may have to CNC some aluminium plates to ensure they 'snap' into the same place each time. Or decide what the main function is and have that as a non-detachable tool head, and everything else has an accessory dock.

I think in the end the term 'jack of all trades' has a lot of meaning here.... CNC and laser machines like to be big, 3D printers do not (etc etc.... you can go on here). I've seen a few CNC enthusiasts who like to have these interchangeable toolheads, but I imagine that's because there machines are bigger and more expensive so they want to have 1 do it all machine.
October 18, 2016 10:01PM
sungod3k
Q1: The cnc incl pcb drill needs a cnc frame and thats why you see so few "swappable toolsheads" on 3d printer frames. Lasers might be "fun" but are probably also better served on a cnc frame, not mentioning the whole trouble with fume extraction and safty. Multicolor toolheads are already in development, as are food extrusion, maybe pellet extrusion based on richraps groundwork could be worth a shot.
Q2: Dont "invent" another printer, there are enough things you can improve besides the toolheads instead of reinventing the wheel. PM me if you need inspiration, I work with schools and universities and regularly assign them "research topics".
Q3: There are 100 faults stemming from 100 components all interacting to make a print, so that cant be answered like that

Fair points, all of them. I am well aware of all of those things, and I'm not necessarily trying to reinvent the wheel here. I'm working off a few ideas that I had from studying my current printer and others that I have worked with at school and otherwise. I came asking about interchangeable tool heads; I feel like telling me that I shouldn't do interchangeable tool heads because 'don't reinvent the wheel' defeats the purpose of my post. Hopefully I can use this project to help alleviate at least a good portion of the problems associated with 3d printing. Hopefully. A girl can dream. The third question was a general question anyway. Think of one of those 100 issues that stem from 100 components all interacting and throw it at me with a potential solution. That wording better? <3 smiling smiley

Origamib
Not entirely sure what you're asking, but if it is interchangeable toolheads there are many things you can add.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm asking! I forgot to take into account the fun messes associated with cutting materials. Oops~ I'm going into electrical engineering so the majority of this idea stems from being able to do electronics projects more efficiently by being able to machine PCB, but that doesn't necessarily mean using a drill. A youtuber I found sharpened a hardened steel rod with a grinder and used it to essentially scratch a resist material from the dare I say pre-resisted PCB. Another did the opposite, applying resist with a resist pen, then etching the remainder. But having a drill to put holes in for components would be nice, so I should figure out a way to alleviate that problem. Maybe making a small box and attaching a tiny vacuum tube to the modules that would make a mess? I should limit my modules for now I suppose. The end goal is for this to be a kind of open source project for people to add their designs for different modules to and stuff. As for accurately replacing a toolhead, no worries that is figured out. I have ran through several designs for clip-in modules during the past few days and the one I printed this morning seems to do the trick. As far as software is concerned, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. For the dremel, if I'm milling things they won't be too large anyway, so a small cheapo dremel won't be too much in the way especially with 300mm of room to move up.

All in all, even if the replaceable tool head thing doesn't work I will still be making a printer with dual extrusion that is 300mm cubed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2016 10:04PM by AMCE.
October 19, 2016 04:25AM
PCB etching is very easy to do on a printer, I've seen a video somewhere of a nail attached to the effector with a spring so that there is not too much pressure on the PCB. works just like a pen plotter, except that it may need multiple passes to scratch away the surface.

You may find that if you only want the drill for a few holes in PCB, perhaps invest in a pillar drill or 3D print a stand for a dremel (there is a good one on thingiverse). The effort of setting up the new surface for CNC drilling may be more effort then it is worth. Of course, you could always set up a CNC to do light passes over PCB to etch in tracks, It then has the advantage of being able to drill holes at the same time as etching.
October 19, 2016 05:27AM
Hi Acme,

If you are thinking about building something to handle the forces of even a dremel head you would probably need to start off building a complete box frame.

The build platform would probably be best as a stable build platform. If you used tooled aluminium with pre drilled holes for mounting work while using the CNC/Mill/Laser it could also be used as a vacuum bed letting you suck all the dust and nasty stuff out of the bottom.

While 3D printing you could add a Glass panel coated in what ever material you need for the filament you are printing with and that sorts out any issues you would have with the 3D print bed being free of dust or imperfections.

You can buy Dremel flex shaft attachments that would cut down on the actual tool head weight but you would need a way to mount the Dremel kind of like a Bowden Extruder up and out of the way.

The X Axis could be built like a gantry on a CNC that moves along the Y Axis and the whole X Axis would move in the Z direction.

This would give you a more stable 3 Axis and more options for designing the mount for your tools.

I hope this is helpful and not just rambling.

PM me if you have any more questions I've been thinking about this myself a great deal.

Ryan

Out of the box thinking is easier when you never fitted in the box to begin with. smiling smiley
October 19, 2016 06:24AM
A stable box frame with ballscrews that can be driven with servomotors would also be a good project. The servos are expensive but that would allow fast printing and strong cnc'ing.
October 19, 2016 01:02PM
I wouldn't use a Dremel and expect to hold very tight tolerances. Speaking of tolerances, what trace widths do you expect to use? Will your machine handle .008" traces?
October 19, 2016 01:17PM
Check out Hyrel
[www.hyrel3d.com]

swapable tools
[www.hyrel3d.com]

confused smiley
October 21, 2016 07:02PM
Hi Acme,
Interesting project! I think even quite a flimsy 3d printer could handle a dremel + tiny end mill if the cut depths are small (if I'm going to do pcbs I'd rather not etch. It's so disgusting if you don't have professional gear and there's the problem of what to do with the ferric chloride afterwards sad smiley ) I'm a noob to 3D printing, but I can say that the bigger the piece the more problems you see with distortion and the more difficult to get it to stay on the bed. I think 300mm square is going to be a real challenge!
If you are looking for minimal connectors maybe just power and ground and SPI or i2c to a local processor on the head, so that you pass the data and the processor controls the print head?
Dave
October 23, 2016 12:03PM
If you are thinking of replacable toolheads the look at how the Toranado handels the electrical connections.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1246951
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login