Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Adding a Cooling Fan without Replacing the whole Extruder and Carriage

Posted by leinad13 
Adding a Cooling Fan without Replacing the whole Extruder and Carriage
October 28, 2016 07:21AM
This is probably a bit of a long shot, earlier this year i purchased a cheap Prusa i3 from ebay.I have tried to fit a cooling fan to the extruder and carriage and tried several designs from thingiverse (even modifying them). But I just can't seem to fit a fan onto this!

The extruder is exactly like the one pictured in the ebay link. More accurate picture It looks like a knock off Maker Bot Mk7 extruder.

The issue i have, is that almost all the designs i have found are for carriages which are mounted front to back, not sideways like mine. I am going to give this a go this weekend and see if it will fit. This is a bit of a desperate request for help or idea's - before i give up and get a new carriage and extruder....
Re: Adding a Cooling Fan without Replacing the whole Extruder and Carriage
October 30, 2016 07:07AM
This might work for you,
This fan duct and spacer with a 75mm x 30mm blower fan [www.thingiverse.com]
There is a fan spacer used upon the Ormerod 2, which sits between fan and heat sink, upon which the ormerod fan duct is mounted.
It mounts the fan in the X-axis direction, so looking at you photos it would point out to the right hand side, looking from the front.
So it looks like this

You will need to design a mounting bracket. As you can see in the photo above. It's the white long arm

Supporting 3D Printers with Parts and Build services.
Printer: Ormerod 2 (528.4) Duel extruder set-up with Aluminium X-Rib, RRPro Firmware v1.11-ch (2016-04-08)
Re: Adding a Cooling Fan without Replacing the whole Extruder and Carriage
October 30, 2016 05:06PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login