Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nichrome wire question [Solved]

Posted by scientist434 
Nichrome wire question [Solved]
February 05, 2011 08:24PM
Hi,

I'm trying to build a reprap and am having issues with the nichrome wire. What gauge wire should I use? or does someone have a website and a part number that I should use. I have some 22 gauge but the amount required to get 6 ohms is to long to rap around the extrude easily.

Thanks,
Adam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2011 01:37PM by scientist434.
Re: Nichrome wire question
February 05, 2011 09:26PM
Don't know - I used wire from a busted toaster myself. It was 1 Ohm per inch. Which is exactly what the nichrome wire called for in the original designs was. That was much thinner, so it must have been a different alloy.

Have you considered using a heater block w/ ceramic resistor instead of nichrome? Much more reliable and much neater too.

--
I'm building it with Baling Wire
February 05, 2011 09:42PM
Thanks I don't have a toaster but that gave me an idea. Maybe the heating element from a hair dryer will work.

Thanks
Adam
February 05, 2011 10:07PM
It might. Last hair dryer I looked at had a really curly wire in it, I don't know if you'd be able to use that without hammering it all flat (a tedious process) first.

--
I'm building it with Baling Wire
February 06, 2011 12:17AM
You want something around 30 gauge to get a short enough length.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
February 06, 2011 09:08AM
Well if the hair dryer doesn't work I will get some 30 gauge wire.

Thanks a lot
Adam
February 06, 2011 10:15AM
not sure what 30 guage is but if you get thin stuff try and buy it insulated, putting kapton tape around really thin wire isn't fun and it won't last as long.

a lot of people have moved onto using a resistor in an aluminum or brass block and had a lot more success this way, myself included.
February 06, 2011 10:16AM
February 06, 2011 12:35PM
30 gauge is smaller than 22 gauge... the AWG gets smaller as the wire's diameter gets larger
Re: Nichrome wire question [Solved]
February 06, 2011 01:38PM
I might try the aluminum block heater if I can't get the hair dryer to work. Thank you all for the help maybe I will finally get my reprap finished.

Thanks,
Adam
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login