Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Clogged Diamond hotend. How to clean it?

Posted by o_lampe 
Clogged Diamond hotend. How to clean it?
December 15, 2016 03:57PM
It seems, I have an obstacle in the nozzle because all three filaments show signs of under extrusion.
I've read of cold-plugging normal nozzles, but how can I do that with a diamond?
Is there another way to clean it? I've used black PLA when it happened.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2016 03:58PM by o_lampe.
Re: Clogged Diamond hotend. How to clean it?
December 15, 2016 09:36PM
Use a torch and piano wire, some metal guitar wire might work depending on nozzle size.
December 16, 2016 07:40AM
When I clog my E3D nozzle with PLA, I unscrew it, wind a bit of bare wire around it to form a handle, hold it nozzle hole upwards then heat it up a bit with a blowtorch - not red hot, just very warm. After a few seconds there'll be a little bit of flame and the PLA will drop out. An enthusiastic shake will help, but watch out as the metal will be hot enough to burn for quite a while, and I'm guessing that molten PLA isn't something you want to get on your skin.

Take sensible safety precautions - make sure the nozzle is firmly held, wear leather gloves, eye protection if you think it's appropriate, work in a non-flammable area and keep kids far away when you're doing this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2016 07:40AM by David J.
December 16, 2016 10:08AM
Thanks for your answers.
I know the piano wire trick, but with a 3-filament nozzle, how do I get the obstacle out of the nozzle? I can try to push the wire from either side, but I can't push the wire in reverse direction. The obstacle would only move to the next channel.
VDX
December 16, 2016 10:58AM
... search for "manual dentist's drills" (in German "Wurzel-Bohrer") - this are small straight or helical drills to clean tooth roots ... should be helpull here too ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
December 16, 2016 04:08PM
Block 2 channels with 2mm drill bits or filament, and run the wire from nozzle side (heat the wire), it might force the obstruction to move to the open channel or to get glued to one of the filaments?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2016 04:10PM by ggherbaz.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login