Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

E3D Lite6 mod

Posted by andreduplessis 
E3D Lite6 mod
December 21, 2016 10:06AM
Hi all

First time poster, long time lurker alert spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I have had an e3d lite6 with a bowden extruder for some time and wondered if it would be possible to print at temperatures higher than +- 240C. I know that the ptfe tube does not like the higher temperatures and this got me thinking...

What if you were to use some ceramics to isolate the pfte tube from the extreme temperatures? Then something like this popped into my mind. These porcelain tubes/beads are used in ovens to isolate electrical wiring from heat, so it would make kind of a good fit.

I know that they are not very easy to get hold of in lower quantities and/or the 4mm/2mm size that would fit into the heatbreak.

Am I missing something very obvious in my thought experiment or will this change the world forever cool smiley?
Re: E3D Lite6 mod
December 21, 2016 01:43PM
My opinion, think it would cause nothing but jams, it looks rather porous. if it were coated maybe it would reduce fiction. The PTFE tube has a very low friction co-efficient, which is why it's used in hotends.
December 22, 2016 10:02PM
You can change over to the full metal V6 by replacing the heat sink and the heat break which is pretty cheap so I would bother messing around unless you have the materials and just want to experiment.

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
January 02, 2017 07:51PM
msaeger
You can change over to the full metal V6 by replacing the heat sink and the heat break which is pretty cheap so I would bother messing around unless you have the materials and just want to experiment.

What he said.

Your ptfe right now reaches your heatblock on the lite v6, with the v6 1.75 mm version, the ptfe will be in the cold end alone.
Which, with enough cooling is a good thing.

I am using bowden aswell, with a direct drive for 3mm. It's a been a big PITA to get to work.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2017 07:53PM by Govahnator.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login