Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

nozzle too far away from bed when print starts

Posted by ashdavely 
nozzle too far away from bed when print starts
January 04, 2017 12:10AM
I built an i3 variant running Marlin 1.1 RC8 firmware which I recently upgraded from RC6. I installed an inductive sensor LJ18A3-8-Z/BX to replace my mechanical Z endstop switch. The sensor works, it detects my aluminum build plate. When my print starts the nozzle is too far from the build plate currently by several mm. I have been pausing the print job and baby-stepping the nozzle down (using Octoprint) close enough to start the first layer. What settings do I need to change to fix the nozzle height permanently?

Right now it seems there isn't any benefit from the inductive sensor. At least with mechanical switches it was just a couple of screws needing adjustment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2017 12:14AM by ashdavely.
Re: nozzle too far away from bed when print starts
January 04, 2017 01:52AM
You probably need to adjust the height of your inductive sensor from the build plate until it triggers exactly when your nozzle just touches the bed.
January 04, 2017 03:37AM
Paper test= z-height adjustment guide.

After AutoCalibration, I manually jog the nozzle down for the paper test. Then send G92 z0 and in case of Marlin M500 afterwards to store the new value in EEprom.
But your software might not allow to lower the nozzle below zero. You have to change that first or raise the sensor a bit to much, so the nozzle would crash into the bed.
That means you'd have to do the paper test at every new start.
January 09, 2017 10:59AM
How do you configure marlin to drop below your Z endstop? I've played with this but ended up crashing into the build plate.

Also, is Z home the same as Z0?
January 09, 2017 11:15AM
ashdavely
How do you configure marlin to drop below your Z endstop? I've played with this but ended up crashing into the build plate.

Send a G92 Z10 ; makes printer think its at z10 instead of Z0,
jog Zdown for paper test
Then send G92 Z0 ; resets Z0 to current position
January 09, 2017 01:00PM
obewan
ashdavely

jog Zdown for paper test

Will the firmware keep the new Z0 setting?
January 09, 2017 05:34PM
ashdavely
obewan
ashdavely

jog Zdown for paper test

Will the firmware keep the new Z0 setting?

For that i think the only way would be to adjust the offset in config.h or eeprom
#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 0 // Z offset: -below +above [the nozzle]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login