Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r nozzle Diameter & layer shift

Posted by adenton 
Slic3r nozzle Diameter & layer shift
February 21, 2017 04:50PM
Hello,

I am trying to fix a shifted layers issue along the x-axis and y-axis on my I2. When I looked into the Slic3r Printer Settings I notices that I had the Nozzle diameter set to 0.5 mm, but I was using a 0.4 mm nozzle. So I changed this an went to print however the printer was all over the place, so I changed it back to 0.5 mm. Does any one know why this is?

Additionally, I still don't know what is causing this shift. Here is some info:
-acceleration = 250
-jerk= 5
-Pololu drivers= ~0.4 mV
-set screws in
-PLA 1.75mm
- belts tight
-no visible or audible skipping

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.
Re: Slic3r nozzle Diameter & layer shift
February 21, 2017 07:19PM
If the printer is all over the place try bolting it down!!!

But no really, that doesn't in any way describe what you are seeing, sort of makes it hard to help. The only thing that should change when setting a smaller nozzle diameter is the amount of filament extruded.

As for the shifting layers, what print speeds are you printing at and what is your feedrate? Try a lower max feedrate setting in the firmware and a slower print speed
February 21, 2017 11:48PM
Yeah I don't know why changing the nozzle diameter would change the print entirely. My print speed is 120 and I'm not sure what the feedrate is, the extrusion multiplier is 1, is that what you mean? Also here is an image of a few of my incomplete prints with shifted layers
February 21, 2017 11:55PM
120!!!! you should bolt that thing down,

try a print speed of 40 mm/s to 60 mm/s

The feedrate is the max speed set in the firmware. its a good idea to set this as it will always cap your machine to this speed, even if the gcode is set to a faster speed
February 22, 2017 01:15AM
Okay thank you! Will test these changes out soon.
February 24, 2017 01:25PM
I found out that if the nozzle diameter value and the layer height value are not the same, then the printer kind of freaks out. This would explain some of my problems! Still working on improving print quality...
February 24, 2017 02:01PM
if you use .4mm layers with a .4mm nozzle then you are going to have horrible prints.
If you have a .4mm nozzle try .2 or .3 layers.
March 04, 2017 06:19PM
I found that my stepper voltages being to low were causing missed steps. And 120 is only a dream for most of us. Print quality between 120 and 40 is staggering. Best I've got is 80mm/sec and usually that is to fast.
March 04, 2017 06:45PM
You may and should look at a single stepper setup. Here is how I did it.
[forums.reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login