Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can anyone diagnose this 3d benchy?

Posted by rich1051414 
Can anyone diagnose this 3d benchy?
March 24, 2017 11:50PM
Recently finished building my Hictop Prusa i3, but it still has a lot of calibration left to be done. Decided to print out a benchy, and it, unsurprisingly, has quite a few problems. If anyone knows exactly what causes this, give me some input smileys with beer

This is how it looks RIGHT off the print bed, no clean up was done for an authentic representation. Printed in PLA at 190C, with a cooling fan at variable speed ramping up from 0% to 100% at 1mm. Print speed at 65mm/sec, and acceleration/jerk at factory default. Retraction is 6mm@100mm/s. Layer Height is 0.25mm and nozzle size is 0.5mm. Print time was 49 minutes.

Edit: Adding relevant information and proofreading.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2017 10:44AM by rich1051414.
Re: Can anyone diagnose this 3d benchy?
March 25, 2017 09:29AM
Hictop I always laugh when I see that written sounds so hillbilly...i'd tighten things up, check your joints for play in system, reduce the speed to half, and .28 layer height and maybe make sure its not over extruding so .95 see how it goes then maybe up a little if it doesnt look like enough filament. then maybe look into the accel/jerk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2017 09:31AM by MechaBits.
March 25, 2017 10:43AM
I found the problem, it has to do with the y axis belt tensioner. The vibrations were causing the bolts to come loose before it finished one print. I put some loctite on the threads and this was the result.

Not perfect yet but getting there. Any other recommendations? From searching, I think I might have also narrowed down my z-band issue, which has to do with the threaded rod for the Z axis not having enough support. I am going to work on correcting that as well as double checking my extrusion calibration to make sure it is accurate then try again at half speed and see how it turns out.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2017 11:17AM by rich1051414.
March 31, 2017 12:00AM
What is your layer thickness? Mine is .2 mm and looks smoother.

Dan
April 08, 2017 07:45AM
in my opinion printing at 65 mm/s too fast for a i3 id say 45 mm/s z banding well what type of z have you got 5mm threaded bar or lead screws? don't constrain the leadscrew at the top let them be free to move any pictures of the machine?

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
April 08, 2017 10:11PM
Thanks, all my issues have now been alleviated. Z bracing corrected my issues with the z-banding, and upgrading the hot end fixed my issues with stringing and inconsistent filament flow.

This is how it is looking at the very sloppy settings of 0.2mm and 65mm/sec.(I am also now using a 0.4mm nozzle, with an E3d v6 hotend)

Printed in PETG

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2017 01:58AM by rich1051414.
April 09, 2017 04:08PM
try it at a slower speed

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
April 10, 2017 07:57AM
Yeah, I know it will print prettier slower, I just rushed one out to show how the earlier issues were alleviated. The printer is doing great now. My earlier issues had nothing to do with print speed, but with faulty design of the 3d printer, corrected with a lot of modification.

Anything above 45mm/sec looks quite sloppy, but I am accepting that. I think the issue is primarily due to the sheer mass of a direct drive extruder, but I have had a bowden extruder, and that has a whole other set of limitations.

To answer your earlier question, the Z is on lead screws. It now has a total of 4 lead screw nuts, 2 on each side, and the lead screws are now fully floating(allowed to move up and down if it has to) which was the mod that finally got rid of the heavy z banding.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2017 08:01AM by rich1051414.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login