Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Exporting as an STL

Posted by elwood127 
Exporting as an STL
March 25, 2017 01:47PM
Hey all, I just noticed that after creating a design and copying it 25 times and then exporting it as an stl file, Rhino 3D is creating "Points and Polygons" for each piece but each one gets a different point and polygon count. For instance, 38337 points and 48000 polygons and then 38465 points and 48032 polygons. And as it scrolls through each part it changes again and again. How the heck can 25 copied parts have different polygon counts? Thanks.
Re: Exporting as an STL
March 25, 2017 10:29PM
Did you switched between programs when you did the 25 copies? Or used different versions of the program? I have seen that happened when switching between solid works and inventor or when opened old inventor files in new versions. But I really doubt that such small change in polygon count will change the quality of the print.
Re: Exporting as an STL
March 26, 2017 05:49PM
Why are you copying the exact same part withing the CAD software? You would be better off to make the copies in the slicing software to avoid any problems like this. STL's are not the neatest of conversions and if you have lots of individual parts the conversion can do funny things with the faces.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login