Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Engine heater pads for heated bed?

Posted by SimonRafferty 
Engine heater pads for heated bed?
March 04, 2011 02:34PM
I've come across these: http://www.engineheaters.co.uk/, in particular their Battery heater - and wondered what you think about using them as a bed heater?

They are available in 12v, 110v and 230v. I have no idea what max temperature they reach - so they might require thermostatic control.

I've asked the company for more info which I'll reproduce here.

Si
Re: Engine heater pads for heated bed?
March 04, 2011 09:47PM
The questions that need to be answered here are:

- Max operating temp
- Cost

As long as they can produce the correct max temp (we can then control the temp using electronics), and they're reasonably cheap, then they should be fine. The problem with most of these sorts of things is that they are not cheap.
March 05, 2011 07:06PM
This is the reply from the company:
Simon, thank you for visiting our web site and requesting pricing on a Flexible Heating Pad 240 volts.

We agree the BH60CSA 240 volt, 60 watt CSA/CE approved heater is a better choice than our engine oil heaters as they require a large heat sink (the oil in the sump) otherwise they burn out.

Battery Warmers.
Our Battery Warmers are of similar design as the engine oil heaters, without the adhesive.

They are installed under the battery or piece of equipment so they are very easy to install. The BH-60CSA measures 14 cm x 21.50 cm with a cord length of aprox.1.75 m. An electrical plug is not supplied.

Pricing:
Model BH-60CSA Battery Warmer £26.00
Shipping: £5.00
Prices are in GBP.

Delivery: Stock

Ordering:
We accept, Visa, Master Card and PayPal. (You do NOT need a PayPal account to pay by this secure method)

To order by credit card, please go to our secure web page at [secure.engineheaters.co.uk]

To order by PayPal, please send us an email with your order requirements and we will send you a PayPal invoice.

If you have any questions, please contact us.

Regards

David

International Diesel Group Inc.
Toronto, ON. Canada
www.engineheaters.co.uk

No mention of max temperature - but £26 isn't too steep for an experiment at least.

Si
March 07, 2011 07:28AM
Second response from the company:

The 60 watt, BH60CSA-240 can reach 90°C without a heat sink.

So, £26 + £5 p&p and capable of heating to 90°C - sounds almost ideal! Since they appear to be made in Canada - I dare say they will be even cheaper in the US than here in the UK.

Si
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login