Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PLA, ABS Filament Supplier in USA??

Posted by waconiabarrett 
PLA, ABS Filament Supplier in USA??
March 09, 2011 10:44PM
Does anyone know of a RELIABLE source for PLA and ABS filament in the USA?

By reliable, all I ask for is:
- They actually have (or can get within a week or two) the materials they advertise
- They actually ship everything they charged you for over 3 months ago
- They respond to email inquiries

I'm very close to setting up an extrusion line to start producing filament and selling it, because I can't seem to find anyone reliable to buy it from.
Re: PLA, ABS Filament Supplier in USA??
March 10, 2011 01:20AM
[ultimachine.com] is extremely reliable and has plenty of PLA in stock, as well as some ABS. I can't recommend them highly enough. I've ordered 5 different colors of PLA from them, as well as a RAMPS kit, and each time the order was shipped within 2 days and received at my house within a week. All with reasonable shipping costs too.

[store.makerbot.com] is always good too.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 10, 2011 03:18AM
I can recommend Ultimachine too. I ordered two reels of PLA from them, it really was in stock and arrived within a few days. It also came with samples of two different colors for free. I'd definately order from them again.

JB
March 26, 2011 01:54AM
I recommend Ultimachine. Ordered PLA the other day and it shipped right away.

You can only get natural colored abs from techzonecom.com

Makergear.com also seems to have a good supply of PLA
March 26, 2011 02:55AM
Ultimachine is the best not to mention about 30 mins away from my house LOL. now if I could only figure out how to use my new printer I would be set to order more supplies.
Steve
Hi,

3dprinterstuff.com has 3mm ABS filament in stock in eleven colors (red, orange, yellow, green, olive, light blue, blue, rust, black, white, natural) and a variety of coil sizes. Very reasonable prices and great service!

3dprinterstuff.com

Carrie
May 29, 2014 02:31PM
Push Plastic is a US manufacturer. Excellent quality, free 2-day shipping, 100% virgin material.
May 29, 2014 02:58PM
Hmmm, I like the look and feel of Push Plastic compared to other vendors. I'd like to see reviews and test/comparison prints from someone that isn't affiliated before I switch from my home in MatterHackers.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
May 29, 2014 04:06PM
To be honest, I'm too new to 3D printing to give a reliable review, but I've ordered a spool of PLA from Push Plastics. I haven't had any issues with the filament as far as I know. No Jams, Sticks well to my glass bed with no heat and UHU Stick Glue. I'll try to take a pic for you later of a print.
May 31, 2014 09:24PM
I'm not worried about improved sticking to bed, as long as it works at least half as well as my current plastics, two different kinds, then I'll never give it a second thought. My prints always stick too well to my bed, half the time I end up pulling up tape with it. I use heated bed and painter's tape. If it can print as easy as my cheap PLA but as good looking as my pro PLA, then I'll give them all the money I have.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
May 31, 2014 09:59PM
MrDoctorDIV
Hmmm, I like the look and feel of Push Plastic compared to other vendors. I'd like to see reviews and test/comparison prints from someone that isn't affiliated before I switch from my home in MatterHackers.

Their web site says that they are a new business and just getting started. Reading their news entry bragging that they just (finally?) got a vacuum sealer two months ago to properly package their products for shipping makes me wonder what other tooling they are missing or if there are any material handling mistakes behind the scenes. Some of their specialty filaments look interesting and I will be monitoring them, but right now I just don't get the "Taulman" feeling of quality and a tested product from the info on their web site.....
June 01, 2014 11:23AM
I only buy from Ultimachine these days, at one point I looked at having filament manufactured and selling it, because so much of the filament I saw was crap. I spent a lot of time measuring filament from various vendors with a micrometer, outside the cheap Chinese stuff, most of it was inside the quoted spec, but where most 1.75mm PLA filament would vary by +/-0.1mm over even short lengths, the Ultimachine filament was MUCH more consistent and closer to the nominal value.
I got samples from a couple of manufacturers and they were no better than the stuff most vendors were selling, so I ended up not proceeding,

Now I certainly haven't purchased from a lot of suppliers, so YMMV.

My blog [3dprinterhell.blogspot.com]
June 01, 2014 03:08PM
MatterHacker's pro filament has had +/- 0.15mm as far as I've measured. I haven't gone too far to measure the "lower quality" filament, but I've never had a problem printing with it. Honestly, the lower quality filament is my preferred filament, as it's more reliable to print with. Pro filament likes to get stuck in my E3D here and there. I can sleep/go somewhere printing in LQ, but if I print something in HQ I have to stick around, though it does perform and look better otherwise.
I might try Ultimachine when I restock. I've got the same stuff I got a year ago, with a bit added since, and only, if as much as, half of it is gone.

June 03, 2014 10:30AM
vreihen
MrDoctorDIV

Their web site says that they are a new business and just getting started. Reading their news entry bragging that they just (finally?) got a vacuum sealer two months ago to properly package their products for shipping makes me wonder what other tooling they are missing or if there are any material handling mistakes behind the scenes. Some of their specialty filaments look interesting and I will be monitoring them, but right now I just don't get the "Taulman" feeling of quality and a tested product from the info on their web site.....

Hey MrDoctorDIV,

Push Plastic here. Regarding your concerns, before our vacuum sealer we were putting reels in a heavy mil re-sealable poly bag with desiccant, so its not that we were improperly packaging our product before. We do not cut corners on any of our manufacturing processes, quality measurement systems, or packaging. If you are interested in testing our quality out or sampling some of our new advanced filaments drop us a line at sales@pushplastic.com and we will gladly send you some to try out!!

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2014 10:31AM by nbooth.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login