Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rep Rappers In scotland

Posted by BrianRowes 
Rep Rappers In scotland
March 18, 2011 10:03PM
hey all
was wondering if there were any other repraps in scotland?
its getting lonely up here tongue sticking out smiley
anyone else out there from north of the border?
cheers
brian
Re: Rep Rappers In scotland
March 18, 2011 10:58PM
Brian, need a dedicated sub-forum for Scotland-based reprap devs? grinning smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
March 21, 2011 07:54AM
lol doesnt look like it unless a few of you are willing to move tongue sticking out smiley
im not quite a dev yet anyways, my bot still aint calibrated.....

cheers
brian
March 22, 2011 08:29AM
Hi Brian,

Just to let you know that your not a Loan Wolf out here in Scotland. After following Reprap for a year or two, I have just bought some Gen3 PCB's and am now getting around to acquiring/buying the first components etc.

I live in Fife and work in Edinburgh, but a sub-forum of 2 sounds a bit pretentious, what do you think?

Regards

Richard
March 22, 2011 11:12AM
yeah
just the 2 of us on a whole baby forum would be a bit much though it would be pretty funny
just glad to find out it aint just me. heard edinburough uni has 1 but havent been able to get hold of anyone there to confirm...
im down in greenock so we aint too far appart.
keep me updated on your progress and let me know if you need any help, finished my build but still have a few niggling problems..
cheers
brian
March 24, 2011 06:06AM
Hi Brian and Richard,

With luck I might be the third reprapper Scot? Unlikely but I like the idea of a podium finish for pioneering. Currently living in Edinburgh and commuting to college in Glasgow. Bought my components in Oct last year. They took a while to arrive. I'm also on a busy course so reprapping time has been limited. Sounds like I'm at roughly the same stage as you Brian.

Woodsmoke

[ resistentialist's report ]
March 24, 2011 08:39AM
Greetings Woodsmoke, (Hi Brian),

So now we are three,,, lets hope its the 3 musketeers (rather than the three amigos,..).

I'm looking forward to reading your blog, so I may have a few questions later.

However, I picked up on Brians comment about a possible Reprap at Edinburgh University, so a quick Goggle turned up the following

[reprap.cottagelabs.com].

Looks like there has been a whole team working away and have now just given birth to a health baby reprap machine.

I think we need to get out more and circulate with these people.

Regards

Richard
March 27, 2011 05:07AM
Hi All
I live in Inverness just started in this 3D printing lark.
I am going to build a Mendel as soon as the plastic bits arrive. I am going to use Gen 6 electronics.
I will keep you informed.
All the best Bob
PS replicate safely
March 28, 2011 06:26PM
so we werent way up here alone after all.
im printing these days but little things arent right/consistant and ones every 10 prints or so the printer desides not to play ball halfway through a print. but all that is getting better.
my side walls are good just now but my printer doesnt seem to hold steps/mm for very long and my "top" never gets filled all the way.
if anyones up for meeting up in glasgow or edinburough to discuss settings or give each other help to all get to the same stage to advance together(and hopefully faster) id be into it, maybe somewere we can bring printers/laptops and check each others builds for msitakes/insperation.
cheers
brian
April 11, 2011 08:42AM
Hi Guys,

You can add me to the list too... I'm in Edinburgh.
Been following this for a couple of years now and finally bought most of the bits a couple of weeks ago. Build started on Friday evening and was completed (as far as I could go ) on Saturday. Now I'm just waiting for my Gen6 Electronics and a couple of bits and pieces for the extruder and hot end to arrive before I can fire it up .

rankbajin
April 25, 2011 05:45AM
Yo Brian mate, 2 tell you the truth I hav been writing lyrics and workin on my own style since i was 15, i'm now 22. Now hear me out buddy, I hav literlay never recorded an album or even a song, btu 2 tell you the truth after a brief hiatus due 2 personal problems i hav found new energy and passion.. all i need is some one with enough time on there hands to get me 2 the next level. Please don't think of me as another wannabee, and unedrstand when i say yes i am scottish through and through but i do not rap with a scottish accent, not outta disrespect but so that i can appeal 2 every1, so Brian if you give me the oppertunity to record or even spit with you.. I promise you on everything that is imprtant to me that i would not let you down. Get back to me man and let me know what you think and if you're willing to make the jump.

Thanks. ;-) x Rude Boii x
June 24, 2011 01:52PM
I was thinking about trying to build one of these for fun is any one up for combined project?

I live in glasgow.

kieran.
June 25, 2011 12:05PM
Hi Guys,

I am just starting out on the path to building my own 3d Mendel. I am based in Paisley, but find myself in Plymouth for now. Plenty of family in Greenock too. So if the sub-forum ever takes root, count me in!.

While i research this and look more into the design, would any of you be interested in printing me the set of parts? (as far as im aware for now, it can be done in about 3 weeks worth of printing overnight). I'll cover all costs and provide a nice little bonus to offset the effort involved.

My long term vision would be to create a community bootstrap process, where parts are auto-built when the printer is not in use overnight (think seti@home or folding@home) and the buyer sends you self addressed envelopes/boxes. Your costs and profit % are paid upfront, and your time is minimal. If it takes off, some kind of bittorrent model could work where several seeders keep supplying parts and the buyer can get 100% of parts quickly from 10 different people all working on the one order. Electronics and bolts sold centrally (until replaced by new design). Simples!

Anyhoo, that is an idea for the future,
right now i'm totally sold on getting myself one first.

Thanks
Gary
June 26, 2011 04:35AM
Ps GaryN is now Grizgrand... im registered ;-)
September 07, 2011 10:05AM
For those of you interested, I have book the electron club. on

Date: Thursday, September 15, 2011
Time: Between 7 and 9

With the intention of starting a group to build a reprap.

More information can be found here.

[www.electronclub.org].

The electron club is in the CCA in centre of glasgow

[www.cca-glasgow.com]

It is likely to be a RAMPS reprap.

All are very welcome.

p.s. there is a buzzer on the second floor to get into the reprap building.
September 30, 2011 05:33PM
This is the third meet up of the glasgow open source hardware group (goshg).

We are a friendly group with and interested in building open source hardware centred round arduino board. ( An arduino is an easily programmable hardware interface capable of being the electronic brain for lots of things, robots, lightboxs, flight machines). What can be done is only limited by your imagination (well almost).

We have an number of proposed projects.

Reprap . A reprap is a 3d printer, it has been getting more capable over the last few years though there is lots of development to do. The central idea of a rep rap is that it should be able to build its self as well as lots of over things, coat-hangers, door stops, really anything you can think of.
Music created using an arduino board.
We a considering also building a quad copter. Something like this [diydrones.com]
Anything else you might like to do.

Meeting from 7.00pm till 9.00pm

Thursday, 6 october , 2011

The Electron Club

CCA (Second floor, buzz to get in)
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD

p.s we may even have a working reprap printer smiling smiley
October 23, 2011 03:03PM
I am looking for reprap motors. Does anyone no where we can get them on the cheep? Although any suggestions would be good.

Thanks

Kieran.

p.s there is another meeting on the 27 of this month. Same place, same location.
October 24, 2011 04:14AM
ZappAutomation
SY42STH47-1684A or SY42STH47-1684B

They should be back in stock either late this week or early next (I was quoted 10 days on the 19th).

They work out at about £65 (for 5) delivered and according to nophead they are the best steppers you can get the in UK for the money.

My Reprap blog

jds-reprap.blogspot.com
October 26, 2011 08:03PM
hye all
sorry for the gap in replys. have moved house, and as yet have no decent net access. is anybody interested in meeting up at some point soon in glasgow then. i can bring my mostly working kinda mendel with me.(ok mendel but doent behave/misses y steps) i dont believ i missed all these meets and have yet to find pplm to build with
and someone wants to rap with me? emmmm..??
wierder things have happened
anyways let me know guys
cheers
brian
November 03, 2011 12:43PM
I'm living in the Edinburgh area. I just found out about [edinburghhacklab.com] and they were connected with the Edinburgh University Informatics RepRap construction.

@rankbajin are you involved with the Edinburgh hackerspace? You seem to have made good progress with your RepRap smiling smiley.
November 06, 2011 08:05AM
Hello, I am a railway modeller living in Carluke, Lanarkshire, looking for someone who would like to earn a few bob making some small parts for me. I model mainly in N gauge i.e.1:148 with occasional forays into OO [1:78]
I have access to AutoCad Inventor 10 [2006], if that's of any help.
Cheers, Robert.
November 13, 2011 02:25PM
Just to let you know we are meeting up again next Thursday the 17th at 7ish. We are making good progress on getting the parts together.
One of our group has already made one and is being a tremendous help.
Thanks Joe, Yes I went with zapp automation, though I wish they had told me they were not in stock before ordering. Anyway all are welcome as usual. And it is buzz to get to the electron club at the cca in glasgow.

[www.electronclub.org]

wixi:- this is all quite new to me, I have heard that some very interesting things are being done in Edinburgh but didn't know the exact url. I'll have a good look at their site. Thanks

Robert:- I am not sure yet that the resolution of the reprap would be good enough for N scale. From what I remember N scale is quite small. \though we have had quite an interesting discussion about improving the fidelity. Should manage 00 quite well I should imagine. You can email me if you wish at kieranwyse at hotmail dot com
November 13, 2011 10:47PM
Hey guys
How long does the meeting last?
if i show up with a mendel would i have time to fire you guys off a plate?
i cant use my whole platform since i suck at leveling but i can do the makerbot sized plates..
will try to organise safe transport for my baby.
is it just a reprap meet or is there anything else you guys are doing?
i need to refresh my arduino/modeling skills
now the printer works i have a million ideas for random things i want to make...
thnx for letting us know
brian
November 14, 2011 04:10AM
Hi Brian,

It usually starts around 7 and finishes around 10 ish. We are on the second floor (buzz to get in) If you need to come earlier to set up the mendel let me know, kieranwyse at hotmail dot com. The reprap is the first project that we have managed to get of the ground it is certainly my hope that there will be many more projects.
We are very enthusiastic about the possibilities of the arduino as well. Last meeting some people were talking about using it for vertical farming.

Our website is

goshg.org.uk
November 17, 2011 01:02PM
know its a bit late but if someone could bring allan keys it would be awsome, cant find the 2 i need. typical
November 18, 2011 04:33PM
hey guys
guess what i printed right after the meet. turns out my x wasnt getting enough current(vibration in car must have turned it a fraction)
anyways, problem solved, im cleaning up my dimentions just now and will do you guys vertexes for next meet.
cheers
brian
January 15, 2012 04:08PM
A lttile up date. We are making good progress and have started the build. The last meeting

[goshg.org.uk]

The next meeting will be at feb the 9th at the cca in the electron club. starting at 7 finishing 10ish.

[www.electronclub.org]

What we still need is here in the bill of parts.

[goshg.org.uk]

As ever all are welcome. We also realy like arduinos.

kieran
March 24, 2012 05:19AM
Hi folks, someone showed me a picture of a reprap thinking it was an April Fools thing, and I find I now need to build one, it's just so tempting to own and use one. What an amazing device.

I'm also in Scotland (West Lothian), and after reading the instruction manual for building one, I just need to start sourcing parts. Is it a better deal to buy the plastic parts from ebay, or is there someone in the local community replicating the plastic bits.

Good to see that there is local groups to help us newbies.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login