Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Noctua hotend fan not cooling enough?

Posted by sungod3k 
Noctua hotend fan not cooling enough?
November 15, 2017 10:57AM
Hi,

I think i have to revise my succes report from this thread [forums.reprap.org] about the noctua fan being able to cool adequatly.

I started noticing some random blockages/extruder clicking while printing pla and the tried to feel the airflow behind the heatsink and if I remember correctly the airflow of the stock fan was much higher.
I also pointed my infra red thermometer onto the heatsink and it read 110C, i cant exactly pinpoint where the temp is but under stock condition I was able to touch the heat at all times.

Im not 100% these blockages stem from the new fan but its possible that the 40 to 30mm reducer is taking too much airflow away.

Has someone with noctua upgrade experienced similar issues?

P.S. it might be possible to design a clip that doesnt reduce the air path that much but then it would also not be as focussed as before. Has that ever been done?
Re: Noctua hotend fan not cooling enough?
November 15, 2017 06:04PM
I use a noctua on an mk8 style extruder with a shroud similar to one on thingiverse that directs air to do part cooling as well. I modified the design a lot though and the fan cools the throat and heatsink really well, no jams, clogs or ptfe breakdown. It's not enough air for part cooling, but works better than nothing at all.
November 16, 2017 09:40PM
What design are you using? and if you cool the throat as well doesnt that blow too much heat away from the upper side of the heatblock?
November 17, 2017 05:58PM
It's something I designed. The duct that blows across the throat aims the air upwards, can't feel much airflow if any on the heater block. I want to test it a bit more and see if I can increase the airflow for part cooling a bit before releasing it. But, I think it may be as good as I can get it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login