Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do you tighten the E3D M7 heat barrier?

Posted by o_lampe 
How do you tighten the E3D M7 heat barrier?
December 07, 2017 03:24AM
I've worked with many E3D hotend clones with M6 heat barriers and they never come loose.
But I can't tighten the M7 heat barrier. The hotend starts to wiggle after a few prints. The heat barrier is countered with the nozzle but comes loose in the heatsink.

What is the right order to mount it? Do I have to use pliers? Should there be a grub screw in the heatsink to fix it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2017 03:25AM by o_lampe.
Re: How do you tighten the E3D M7 heat barrier?
December 07, 2017 09:37AM
pictures may help illustrate... if it threads tight but comes loose after use, perhaps a simple solution of a small drop of superglue at the top after tightening it may be enough to keep it that way without making it impossible to disassemble in the future.
December 07, 2017 02:04PM
You've got to be careful of the thin part of the heatbreak, it's comparatively weak. My method is to screw the heatbreak and nozzle into the heaterblock then use the leverage of the heaterblock to tighten the heatbreak into the heatsink, however I only tighten it by hand.

Idris

{Precision Piezo} Accurate, repeatable, versatile z-probe plus piezo discs, endstop cables, pt100, 50w heaters.
December 07, 2017 08:21PM
You can use two flat m6 nuts and screw them on the heatblock part and tightem them. That gives you an attack point for a wrench to screw into the heat sink.

However usually when I switch nozzles and I feel the heat sink coming loose I grab the heatblock and screw it into the heatsink and so far not broken any heatbreaks grinning smiley
December 08, 2017 02:53AM
Thanks alot for all the tips!
When I screwed the barrier in the heatsink, it felt like I hit the top. Yesterday I shortened the PTFE tube inside the heatsink and it felt different afterwards. Maybe the tube was a bit too long...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login