Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where to Start

Posted by Chris Martin 
Where to Start
April 09, 2011 05:38PM
Hey everyone, I have been following the idea of 3D printers for a while and feel like I finally hit gold with rerap.org. I am ready to get started on this project but I have a question.

Where should I start? Electronics? Frame assembly? Extruder?

I have a good mechanical engineering background, I am well versed in 3D solids modeling and I have done PCB assembly before ( plus my dad has been assembling circuit boards and programing, arduino included, for 30 years) so I don't feel unsure about any particular step. I want to take this project in steps to manage costs ( and to appease my wife grinning smiley) but I wasn't sure what a good starting point would be. What do you all feel is the most critical step to overcome, maybe I will start there.
Re: Where to Start
April 09, 2011 07:39PM
HI..

If you are starting on may I seggest you go for a Mendel-Prusa, you can ether buy printed parts from ebay or via the #repraap channel on irc.freenet.org or you could buy a set of cast parts from [metrixcreatespace.com] (but you will have to drill the holes) or you could try emakershop and buy your printed parts, you can also pickup your hardware and rod kits from the same place.

Now form the electronics you can ether use Gen6 from Mendel-parts which is a one peice system or RAMPS from UltiMachine which is a Arduino MEGA Pololu Shield, you can buy a fully built kit or just buy a PCB and source your own parts and build. (This is what I did). As for motors you will need 5 Nema 17 stepper motor but try and get some with atleat 23oz of holding (43oz is the norm)

Now for the hotend which plugs into the extruder, you have heaps to pick from, Medel-prats sells it's V6, makergear has a few diffrent types, Arcol makes his V3 hotend (belive to be one of the best on the market).

Ok, best get back too it, hope this helps..

Before you jump in and start spending your money, do a heap of research as building the printer is the easy part, getting it to print and print good stuff can be hard, but there is always help in the #reprap channel on irc.

Auzze
April 09, 2011 08:55PM
It seems the prusa is the hot model for first time builds, but how does it really differ. It states it is faster to print the the Mendel and is cheaper to build. Are there many disadvantages? I noticed the documentation is a little light compared to the Mendel so that worries me slightly. I was thinking about Gavin the hot end made at work but if I can find it for the right price maybe I will just buy it outright.
April 10, 2011 02:50AM
Hi Chris

I think you will find that there are better docs for the Prusa than the Mendel.
[garyhodgson.com]

Disadvantages, no not really other than the PLA bushes, but these can be changed to a bronze bush.
I own a Prusa so I'm abit bias, with some of the newer firmware we can print upto 140mm/sec and still get a nice print.

As for a hotend, yes by all means make your own but I would buy say a V2 from mendel-parts with a heater block kit and get your printer working and then build your hotend. (not knowing your skill level)

As I said before join the IRC and read the forum and ask heaps of questions.

Auzze

Chris Martin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It seems the prusa is the hot model for first time
> builds, but how does it really differ. It states
> it is faster to print the the Mendel and is
> cheaper to build. Are there many disadvantages? I
> noticed the documentation is a little light
> compared to the Mendel so that worries me
> slightly. I was thinking about Gavin the hot end
> made at work but if I can find it for the right
> price maybe I will just buy it outright.
April 10, 2011 07:06PM
Wow, excellent resource. I feel a lot more comfortable with a prusa build at this point.

I guess my last question is about electronics. I noticed that the gen6 seems to have some limitations compared to the RAMPS setup but is there any major worries I will run into (or worse, future expansion) that I will run into with Pololu, Ramps, Gen3, or Gen6?
April 11, 2011 03:01AM
HI..

Now this is where I'm very bias, I run RAMPS and never have try anything else. (it just woked the first time out)

You can pick-up a Mega 1280 of E-Bay for about $25.00 to $30.00, a bear PCB $10.00, parts about $20.00 plus you need the Pololu which we set you back about $50.00 (make sure you get heat sniks for the chips). For the stepper motor connecting you can use a sevo type unit or the locking type ones.
You can also use the Mega 2560 but I haer they can be some problem which flashing the firmware, plus the 1280 is all you need.

RAMPS is a simply electronics system that once flashed it works, the only thing you have to remember is not to plug or unplug the Pololu boards in with the power on or you will fry them. It's alway best to buy an extra. One good thing about RAMPS id that they is so much devlopment of the firmware for it, we could see faster speed and better control. We now have a small SDcard sheild that will keep the printer running if you loss connection via the USB, hopefully we will have a LCD display showing temp and other info. So yes RAMPS is becoming the number one system to have.

As I said join IRC and ask any question you need to know, someone will have the answer.

Auzze

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 03:04AM by Auzze.
April 11, 2011 08:14AM
Thanks, that seems to be the same conclusion I see a lot of people come to.

Time to finish up my BOM.
April 11, 2011 04:12PM
So here is my rough BOM. I know there are some estimates in there but I just want to make sure I am on track and haven't missed much. This doesn't go into much detail but everyone seems to know what goes into a vitamins/printed parts kit. For example, I didn't include the extruder itself because it seems to come with all of the printed parts kits.

Does this look right? I am looking for a good supplier for the hot end and the rods here in the US if anyone has some thoughts. I will also take comments on the suppliers I have listed out. Ultimachine seems to be constantly sold out, any thoughts?

Category What Price Ea Qty Total Where
Mechanical Nuts and bolts $55.00 1 $55.00 McMaster-Carr
Mechanical Belts (3) $20.50 1 $20.50 McMaster-Carr
Mechanical Rods $0.00
RP(?) Plastic Parts $80.00 1 $80.00 eBay
Hot End $0.00
Motors NEMA17 $18.00 4 $72.00
Electronics RAMPS Kit $50.00 1 $50.00 Ultimachine
Electronics Stepper Driver $14.00 4 $56.00 Ultimachine
Electronics Arduino Mega 2560 $45.00 1 $45.00 eBay
Electronics OptoStop $3.00 6 $18.00 Makerbot
Power 12V 20A Supply $30.00 1 $30.00 eBay

$426.50

Now off to the IRC channel.
April 12, 2011 05:56AM
I am just in the process of building a Prusa-Mendel.

Printed parts off ebay from Nophead.
Hardware kit from ThingFarm.org
Gen6 and v5 Hot end from Mendel-parts.

Following Gary's visual instructions made the whole thing easy to put together.

Go for the Prusa.

Cheers
Geoff
April 12, 2011 07:24PM
HI..

I still think you can get it cheaper in price..

Same for Gen6 and V5 hotend.. I would go RAMPS with V6 as it is a better hotend has you can change the nozzle later.
Hardware can be got from emaker.com for about $35.00 plus shipping. bets and rods aswell..

We all like to push suppliers we use but if you take the time and shop around you can do it on the cheap but if money is no problem then buy a full kit from makergear or even a fully built printer from botmill..

I hope you do build a printer and enjoy do so

Auzze
April 23, 2011 07:17PM
My first machine is a Prusa with RAMPS electronics. The PLA bushings are fine. I have no complaints. In fact, I love it!
May 03, 2011 04:51PM
Hmm, the wiki says you need 5 stepper motors. Is that right? I thought it was 4 (X,Y,Z axis + extruder).
Just wanted to be sure before I order my parts.

Thanks
May 03, 2011 05:30PM
Prusa uses two for the z-axis instead of one plus a belt.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login