Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hotend Heating Problems

Posted by printer_dave 
Hotend Heating Problems
December 20, 2017 08:44PM
Hello Guys.
I have a problem with my printer again... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
The heatbed works just fine (65° C) and holds the temperature, whereas the hotend after some time (like 10 minutes) at 225° C just drops the temperature like crazy. Sometimes it remains at 180, and the last print even dropped to 35°C (I was away for a few minutes and came back, with a clicking extruder and the display saying 35°).
I power my 3D printer from a ATX PSU and I use a MOSFET for the heated bed as well as one for the extruder.
I noticed the wires from the PSU getting pretty hot, also....

The thermistor is new (I just replaced it) and all connections are nice and good....

Any help is appreciated, thank you in advance!

Dave

PS: For the heated bed - as it has 2 VCC and 2 GND connections - I use 2 cables from the PSU for + and 2 for -, for the hotend only 1 each.
I'm also thinking about trying without the external MOSFET which would require cutting off my connector so that's why I'll wait for your responses first.... ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2017 08:46PM by printer_dave.
Re: Hotend Heating Problems
December 21, 2017 12:01PM
Hello everybody.
I think I fixed the issue! After a lot of trial and error, I was pretty sure something about the MOSFET board was wrong.
So I took it out of my electronics assembly and there was the issues: The PSU cables must have pulled too much on it, resulting in one of the legs that connect the screw-in connector to the board to be very loose / the solder joint was poorly made and got worse with time, it seems.
I removed all of the old solder and re-soldered them in. Now a test print is running for ~10 minutes and heat holds up perfectly, also with the fan at 100% (which was an issue before, too).
If anyone has a similar issue... Check your solder joints! winking smiley

Greets Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login