Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Small Delta Heated Beds?

Posted by Trakyan 
Small Delta Heated Beds?
December 20, 2017 09:13PM
Anyone know where I can get small, round heated beds? Somewhere around 100mm diameter? The smallest I've found are the hexagonal heated beds which are around 170mm for the heated zone and just over 200mm outer diameter.
Re: Small Delta Heated Beds?
December 20, 2017 11:20PM
You can just get a small piece of aluminum and attach a kapton heater to it.
December 20, 2017 11:49PM
The question of where to get a small one still stands. I know kapton, silicon and pcb (and more..) heaters all exist but I'm struggling to find small, round heaters. Cartesian ones of all sizes are abundant.
December 21, 2017 01:39AM
Coffee mug warmers for cars? The'd run on 12 or 24V. I've also seen many shapes of kapton heaters for car mirror heating ( anti fogging )
December 21, 2017 02:18AM
[www.aliexpress.com] has a few extras, but I'm sure they sell just the heatpad.

My Keenova heater has worked flawlessly for several years.
December 21, 2017 07:46AM
I've seen those, but I'd like to avoid mains power for a couple of reasons. Unfortunately most of the small ones seem to run off mains, the smallest one that runs off 12 volt I've seen is 160mm and 180mm for the smallest 24v.

The coffee warmers (or at least I assume that's what they were, they just said warmers/heaters) I saw on aliexpress sat at around 8 watts. Maybe I'm using the wrong keywords, or I'm just gonna have to build a bigger machine to fit the heatbed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2017 07:47AM by Trakyan.
December 21, 2017 09:32AM
Keenovo 100mm 12v:
[ebay.es]
December 21, 2017 08:10PM
Thanks for the source. Quite the price hike over other heated beds but might be worth it.
January 18, 2018 05:32PM
Look here:
[metalremnants.com]

I bought a couple of 1/4" thick, 5" diameter aluminum disks for a _Micro_ Kossel design of mine. You will need to do some edge finishing, but they are clean and look flat. Price == cheap.
THEN
I got a Mr. Coffee mug warmer. I measured this little guy to get over 95C in a couple of minutes. I am going to use some 3M high-temperature spray adhesive to stick the mains-connected heating element to the bottom to create a tiny heated bed.

I will post on the reprappers site when I get this whole thing working. I have a working prototype of a 1.75mm, 300mm tall tiny Kossel that holds a 5" build plate, I figure I can get an 80-90mm diameter by 60-70mm tall print volume. My "proof of concept" unit is limited to a 70mm x 45mm tall print volume with no heated bed. It prints PLA, PETG and Ninjaflex just fine.

DLC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2018 05:39PM by dlc60.
January 20, 2018 09:04AM
I'm looking for a slightly more off the shelf solution to keep the printer easier to make for anyone picking up the design. I'm not worried about the bed itself, I'll be machining that myself.

I have seen these
[www.aliexpress.com]
They are listed as 8W which seems very low to me, but mention 3D printers as an application, probably for search results. It does also say it has a 130 degree Celsius operating temperature, whether that's it can heat things to 130 degrees or it wont die if heated up to 130 degrees I don't know.
January 20, 2018 11:53AM
Trakyan
I'm looking for a slightly more off the shelf solution to keep the printer easier to make for anyone picking up the design. I'm not worried about the bed itself, I'll be machining that myself.

I have seen these
[www.aliexpress.com]
They are listed as 8W which seems very low to me, but mention 3D printers as an application, probably for search results. It does also say it has a 130 degree Celsius operating temperature, whether that's it can heat things to 130 degrees or it wont die if heated up to 130 degrees I don't know.

I aim for a power density of 0.4W per square cm. On that basis, 8W would be good for 20sq cm of bed. However, there could be edge effects that mean you need a higher power density for a small bed.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 20, 2018 11:36PM
So that 8W heater isn't worth bothering with? That's a shame. I might just look at bumping the build volume to 160mm diameter and using one of the kapton heaters I've found.
January 22, 2018 06:15AM
I asked the seller and got a reply saying it will heat up to 120 celcius, this make me thing that either it's a typo and it's a 80W heater since 8W doesn't make much sense to me. They're cheap enough to buy one and try out, if it works then I've found what I'm looking for.
January 22, 2018 11:31PM
Search film heaters and you will find a 70mm circle 12W one.
January 23, 2018 02:08AM
I've bought one of the '8w' heaters and I'll report back on if it's actually 8w. Other 'oil drum heaters' on aliexpress are usually 50-100w so I'm hoping its a typo with 8w. Otherwise I'll have a look at those 70mm heaters but they're a bit small for what I need. I was aiming for 100mm.
January 23, 2018 03:28AM
If you measure its resistance you can work out the power from P = V^2/R.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 23, 2018 04:57AM
I don't have one yet, but I'll measure and report back once I do.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login