Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What PSU Wattage

Posted by Falcondestroyer123 
What PSU Wattage
January 16, 2018 01:53AM
Hey guys im planning to build a printer with the arduino 2560 mega and ramps 1.4 board and using a mk2b 300x300mm heat bed and with a lcd what wattage of a power supply do i need.

Thanks
Re: What PSU Wattage
January 16, 2018 03:47AM
A typical 350-400W 12V LED PSU will do. I'd go for genuine meanwell.
January 16, 2018 01:02PM
Well, the RAMPS board asks for a 5A and 11A input, at 12V, that's 16A=192W. About a third of the power from a PSU is on the 5V/3.3V rails, so a 300W PSU will do the trick nicely.

If you're not using a heated build platform, then you don't need the 11A input at all, which makes the power requirement something that even the wimpiest of ATX PSUs more than adequate for the job. Even some 12V wall warts will supply 5A easily enough.

MBot3D Printer
MakerBot clone Kit from Amazon
Added heated bed.

Leadscrew self-built printer (in progress)
Duet Wifi, Precision Piezo parts
January 16, 2018 06:13PM
If you go with a heated bed, go to120 volts. You can use a low output power supply, and still have a fast bed warmup.
January 17, 2018 02:48AM
A 300x300mm bed heater needs more power than RAMPS can deliver. Also a 12V bed heater of that size would draw a very large current (25 to 30A), needing very thick wires. So you will either need to use 24V power, or use an AC mains voltage bed heater, which has safety implications. If you decide on 24V power, RAMPS is not a good choice of controller.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 17, 2018 12:08PM
I didn't know that the power requirements were that much higher, I only have the 220mmX220mm bed, which was fed by the RAMPS 11A input. Will a heat bed controller take care of its needs, if one wants to go with a single 12V supply?

I remember reading something... There it is. RAMPS with 24V Things to look out for with the RAMPS board if you want to run 24V. Looked like too much trouble for me at the time, but if the higher power is needed, then it may be worthwhile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2018 12:08PM by SupraGuy.

MBot3D Printer
MakerBot clone Kit from Amazon
Added heated bed.

Leadscrew self-built printer (in progress)
Duet Wifi, Precision Piezo parts
January 17, 2018 05:54PM
If you are building a printer larger than 200x200mm, then it is probably going to cost you serious money to do a good job mechanically, in which case it deserves better electronics than RAMPS.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 18, 2018 05:18PM
Falcondestroyer123
Hey guys im planning to build a printer with the arduino 2560 mega and ramps 1.4 board and using a mk2b 300x300mm heat bed and with a lcd what wattage of a power supply do i need.

Thanks

If you are starting from scratch, don't bother with the MEGA/RAMPS 1.4 combo. Use an MKS or Rambo board. Both of these support 24V so you can keep your current down on the heaters. Be careful though that you get 24V or configurable heaters. Some recommend mains-based bed heaters. These are nice because they are fast, but you need to take more precautions around the power lines. I have found that the Rambo and MKS boards are _WAY_ easier to set up and use, especially Rambo with the firmware programmable current limiters on the stepper drivers. Rambo is more expensive, MKS are quite reasonable.

IMO,
DLC
January 18, 2018 05:35PM
dlc60
Falcondestroyer123

Thanks

If you are starting from scratch, don't bother with the MEGA/RAMPS 1.4 combo. Use an MKS or Rambo board. Both of these support 24V so you can keep your current down on the heaters. Be careful though that you get 24V or configurable heaters. Some recommend mains-based bed heaters. These are nice because they are fast, but you need to take more precautions around the power lines. I have found that the Rambo and MKS boards are _WAY_ easier to set up and use, especially Rambo with the firmware programmable current limiters on the stepper drivers. Rambo is more expensive, MKS are quite reasonable.

IMO,
DLC

RAMBO is IMO the best 8-bit board out there. But a Duet WiFi costs the same as a genuine RAMBO from Ultimachine, yet it offers so much more (web interface, quiet Trinamic stepper drivers, 32-bit processing, power panic etc.)

January 18, 2018 10:26PM
So Guys what is the final answer for the wattge
January 18, 2018 10:27PM
Does it Matter if i use the Ramps and Arduino board for a printer bigger then 200x200 and the Rambo and the Mks board seem expensive for a homemade printer in my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2018 10:34PM by Falcondestroyer123.
January 19, 2018 11:04AM
RAMPS and an Arduino will do the job.

There are some limitations. If you want to use higher voltage, then the RAMPS will need some work, Fire is a bad thing. Larger heat beds may be higher wattage than what the RAMPS will provide. I've seen people recommending mains based heated build platforms, though I haven't seen them myself. They should be able to get hot enough, which becomes a much higher energy demand as bed surface area increases. 1.41X the X/Y dimensions is double the area, so a 300mmX300mm bed will need roughly double the wattage of a 220mmX220mm in order to heat as fast and stay hot. The RAMPS board is limited to 11A for the heat bed, at 12V that's about 130W. Many larger print beds that I've seen are listed at 200W+. It's not too hard to manage at 24V, provided that your RAMPS board is modified to manage 24V. (For just the heat bed, I believe that this is just replacing the one fuse.) This is probably still the less expensive way to go, and what I chose for my own home-built printer, mostly because it's what I've got hanging around. I would probably be tempted by another solution if I were starting from scratch, but I've got several Arduino 2560s already (I use them for other small automation projects as well) a couple of RAMPS boards, and the LCD controllers with SD card slots as well. I also plan to use these for a small laser cutter/engraver, again, since I already have it.

It's up to you, or course. The RAMBo/MKS boards will allow you to use a single 24V supply, and just use a 24V heat bed. the Arduino/RAMPS will need either a mains voltage heat bed, or a 24V bed, or an external controller for a high current 12V bed. you're either spending more on the extra power supply (Though a mains voltage PSU is actually pretty cheap, it then depends on the heat bed cost) the extra controller, or modifying the RAMPS board. I haven't done the shopping around for the mains voltage stuff, myself. Modifying the RAMPS boards is easy enough for me, I'm no stranger to a soldering iron, but buying a second PSU might offset the extra cost of the RAMBo board.

350-400W for the power supply should be fine. The 300mmX300mm HBP should be ~200W, so if you get a 24|V supply just for that, then 200W for that, and 100W or so for a 12V supply. (It would just need to feed the 5A side of the RAMPS board.)
January 19, 2018 03:06PM
I've run a no heatbed RAMPS printer on a 5A 12V Laptop Power Supply. I've run 120W 12V heatbed RAMPS printers on a 16A Xbox 360 and a Dell DA-2 18A Power Bricks for about 3 years with no issues. You need to add up the Amps your boards+steppers+hotend+heatbed use. Then give yourself some extra capacity. If your using cheap chinese power supply then you might want to double it...
January 19, 2018 09:21PM
Could i just use a 12v 30a psu as the same psu in the creality3d cr 10.
March 15, 2018 07:12PM
Don't forget that supplies claiming to deliver 20A don't necessarily do that. I bought a "5 star" PS from amazon that could only deliver 9.6A to the bed. I upgraded to a 30A and all is well now.
March 17, 2018 06:55PM
If you are going for RAMPS+Mega2580 and a 300x300 bed which is definitely above RAMPS abilities might I suggest you just use a standard 12V 30/40A car relay?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login