Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Electronic components identity

Posted by Assargadon 
Electronic components identity
January 05, 2008 10:19AM
I beggining to order components for Arduino-based electronics. As far as I live in Russia and as far as I'm not skilled in electronics - I should search
And first element I searching for, confuse me (http://parts.reprap.org/part/component/MAX232).

I trying to use RS-Components, as far as they have office in Russia, And I found 3 chips called MAX232N (http://www.rsrussia.ru/component/catalog/rs/221-5557 , [www.rsrussia.ru] , [www.rsrussia.ru]).

It's MAX232N...I found this name after visiting the manufacturer site via the link in BOM. And if I look in BOM, I see "MAX232" name (without N) - and there are a LOT of chips called MAX232 (far more than 10).

So,

How shuld I solve problems like this? In this very case I can use the price for selecting correct chip (I think correct chip is [www.rsrussia.ru]), but I'm afraid I'll meet a lot of such a problems during my challenge.
Re: Electronic components identity
January 05, 2008 09:09PM
all of those chips you linked to will work just fine =) the MAX232 is a common chip, and those are all just slight variations of it.
January 06, 2008 03:40AM
Zach, are you sure?
The price of most expensive more then 10 times higher to price of cheaper one...

And after all, maybe they COULD work theoretically, but I need them work in your PCB...and if only they changed the pin map...
January 06, 2008 06:06PM
i'm not sure why one is more expensive than the other. i'd go with the cheap one, it will probably work just fine. also, keep in mind that if you use a socket, then you can try different chips without having to desolder anything.

i'm not a betting man, but if i was... i'd put money on these chips.
January 06, 2008 07:20PM
> you can try different chips without having to desolder anything.
Yes, I admit it - if only chip with incorrect pinout not destroy other components. Something like incorrect polarity with electrolitic capacitors...

> i'm not a betting man, but if i was... i'd put money on these chips.
Heh, it takes me 5 times more to undertand this sentense then all the other message. Zach, you reaaly should use short, simple, common words speaking to me - my english is still poor...
January 06, 2008 07:20PM
You need the N suffix as that denotes the DIP16 package which matches the PCB. Other suffixes are surface mount packages which will not fit the PCB.

Other variations of the chip are the size of the capacitors needed: 1uf or 0.1uf. The 0.1uF version can be more expensive but the capacitors are cheaper. If you use the 1uF version of the chip with 0.1uF caps it will not work but I expect all other combinations do.

You can also get an extended temperature version which is more expensive.

I hope this make things clearer.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 06, 2008 07:33PM
Thanks, nophead, it makes things REALLY clearer.
January 07, 2008 03:11PM
very sorry for using uncommon words. basically, i was saying that i think the low cost chip is a good idea =)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login