Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rescue my PEI build surface

Posted by o_lampe 
Rescue my PEI build surface
February 14, 2018 03:45AM
Yesterday I got my PEI sheet from China. It looked like that, when I opened the bubble-foil wrap:

I've put it on a hot surface overnight, but a few nicked places are still there.

Has anyone experience, how to iron out the nicks?
Re: Rescue my PEI build surface
February 14, 2018 07:53AM
PEI is sort of yellow. I don't know what that is, but I doubt that it is PEI.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
February 14, 2018 10:38AM
Searching for PEI Ultem showed me lots of other colors, like blue, red, bright yellow and black.
February 15, 2018 04:44AM
I got a full refund from the dealer, so I can experiment with it.
What do you want me to try out first?
Hot air gun...I only have a two stage gun, not sure which temp would be best?
Cloth Iron...same here, which temp?
Cut it in two pieces along the nicked part?
February 16, 2018 03:15AM
I recently bought fake PEI. I painted it in black stove paint and then attempted to cure the paint in the oven (as per the DC42 IR probe guide) but it melted and crumpled as soon as it went in the oven. Probably polycarbonate sheet. Wouldn't be surprised if that's what you have
February 16, 2018 11:01AM
I don't know, what I've got, but it's awesome thumbs up
I peeled off the greenish cover foil and the sheet was completely transparent. Very shiny and sticky to the touch.
I can print PLA and PETG on a cold bed. And I mean COLD. I started the first PLA benchy, while the bed cooled down from 65°C ( because I placed the 3M tape and the sheet at 65C). The benchy was very hard to remove, although I babystepped the nozzle up by 0.05mm.

Then I got curious and tried the Warpinator with HIPS. A filament I couldn't get stuck really well on any other surface so far.
75°C bed temp failed ( I had the part cooler on, too ) but at 90°C it stayed on. grinning smiley

Next try was the same print with ABS, also at 90°C bed. It almost stuck too well. I had to pull it off, although the bed was already below 60°C. I don't have an enclosure around my Delta XL either. The ABS part warped a bit, after it was off the bed, maybe it was still too hot, or I pulled to hard, IDK.

Re Polycarbonate: I heated the sheet up to 110°C to remove the dents. It didn't melt or shrink. What was your oven temp?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2018 11:03AM by o_lampe.
Attachments:
open | download - Warpinator_HIPS_2.jpg (115.6 KB)
open | download - Warpinator_ABS_2.jpg (116.6 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login