Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3D printer beginner

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
3D printer beginner
April 01, 2007 02:31AM
Hello all! My name is Danail. It become very intresting that there are such machines like 3D printers (so far I didn't know about them because I am not a technician). It become me very intresting of having such a machine, but when I understand about the prize of the comercial ones I got frightened smiling smiley As far as I understood in the web page of RepRap the prize for constructing alone the RepRap 3d printer is much cheeper. I wolud like to ask you how to get started with building my own 3d printer? Is there a schematics that I can build such at home, or instructions, technical dimensions of the printer "mechanics" if I can say it so, e.g. how and where to get information enough for me to build alone the 3d printer that you are developing and synchronize it with your project.
Re: 3D printer beginner
April 01, 2007 01:10PM
Welcome Danail. Here's a starting point:
[www.reprap.org]
We are on our way to finalizing the 1.0 release. You can get familiar with reading the topic I started you on. Then you can decide on how you want to build one. The early versions were bread-boarded, there are kicad schematics and board layouts along with instructions for making your own. Also if you look through the forum, Zach is getting a set of boards made. There are missing pieces but from my experience things move quickly relative to our ability to build things and get them working, so that may not be an issue. If you happen to move fast, feel free to post questions and ask for help or advice. There are lots of experienced people here.
Again, Welcome: and good luck!
Bart
Anonymous User
April 03, 2007 10:55AM
Is there a plan of the mechanics, for example plan of the x- axis with exact dimensions, so a man to be able to start building own 3D- printer?
April 03, 2007 07:46PM
if you can wait a few weeks, Adrian and Ed are writing up the mechanics instructions, and once thats done hopefully we will be able to get some printed parts kits made up for those that want them. With those, you simply need to get some 8mm (5/16") rods and put it all together.

In the meantime, you could start assembling an extruder (which is pretty easily mocked up out of wood and things from the hardware store.) or you could start building the circuitry. it will probably be another month before we have pre-printed boards for sale.

if you have access to a FDM machine through a university, or whatever, we have STL files of all the parts you need to print to build the machine. i'm not entirely sure where they are located, but they are probably either in subversion or you could just post here and someone will find them.

if you REALLY cant wait, you could always go the route forrest and many others have traveled, and create your own 3d cartesian robot. however, this is pretty tricky and you'll have to pave your way as you go.

oh, and i almost forgot. here's the in-progress link on how to build v1.0 (darwin) of the robot: [www.reprap.org]
Anonymous User
April 04, 2007 01:57PM
I can wait few weeks, but I thought that the 3d printer is already done, not in working process, this is why I asked for the plans.
My english is not very good, so what is supposed to mean extruder? The z- axis? Where to get the plans for it?
Having the STL files is a nice idea, but I browsed the forum and the reprap page and didn't find them. Also I have no direct access to a 3d printer.
I have ready plans for the mechanics of my pwn 3d printer, however building precise parts for making it is quite expensive.
The link for the 3d printer contains a picture of it, but it is very unclear. What are the dimensions of all of the exis, what are the stepper motors.
April 05, 2007 10:36AM
hi danail,

you're correct... the project is not done, it is a work in progress. however, we are *nearly* complete. the instructions for the cartesian robot (the part that moves the print head) are being made as we speak. however, the instructions for the extruder (the print head) are already up on the main site. look at the link i sent you earlier and you will find it. its called the 'Thermoplast' extruder.

unfortunately we dont have parts to offer for sale yet, but once i get my machine i hope to be able to offer them soon.
Anonymous User
April 10, 2007 12:23PM
What will be the prize of the kit for constructing a 3d printer?
April 10, 2007 02:36PM
right now we're looking at about $400. that is, if you buy all the parts directly yourself. i'm working on the parts db and getting all the stuff consolidated so that this will be easy to do.

if/when we start selling a full parts kit that has everything you need from one place, it will probably be somewhere in the 400-500 range since its quite a bit of work to be doing.

keep in mind that these estimates include all the parts you need. from electrical components / boards / etc all the way up to printed parts and the metal rods you'll need.

obviously you'll need tools that we dont mention in the parts listings. things like a hacksaw, drill/drill press, vice, etc. you should have them around the house, and if not, then this project is a great excuse to get them =)
Anonymous User
April 11, 2007 11:13AM
I am working over my 3d printer in several directions and one of them is the RepRap smiling smiley If the other directions become too expensive or reach a blocked street smiling smiley I will bye a kit, but I am not sure if I will have to do it. By the way where I can download the STL files of the components.
Danilka28
December 08, 2008 01:41PM
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a way to chrome plate the parts from the printer. There are a lot of pores and cracks which need to be covered before plating. Is there a good way to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel
sid
December 09, 2008 05:06AM
Does it need to be chrome plated; or do you want to have a chrome look (like chromed carparts p.e.)
first case: afaik there is no way to actually chromeplate plastic at home.
afaik no way at all.

inbetween: What you can do is ask a carpaint service nearby.
ask for metallisation, there are different ways and colours available.
None of which is chrome actually, but that's exactly how "chromed" carparts are made if they are made of plastic grinning smiley

second case: sand, filler, sand and filler the printed parts until you have the smoothest surface you could get; then use chromelaquer.
Be sure to take the one that can be clearcoated

'sid
VDX
December 09, 2008 05:17AM
... or maybe you can do some elektro-plating: - [www.selva.de]

Viktor
August 03, 2009 09:09AM
I want to information this programe
August 03, 2009 09:12AM
I want to information this program
August 24, 2009 12:35PM
Metal coating is plastic is usually done through vacuum metallization. This is done in a vacuum chamber (naturally).

The part is placed in a chamber with a small amount of aluminum (powdered, I think) between two electrodes. The air is pumped out of the chamber, and the aluminum is vaporized with a jolt of electric current.

In air, aluminum vapor would probably oxidize and make a cloud of smoke, but in a vacuum, it moved in a projectile path, and bonds sticks to whatever receptive surface it strikes (your plastic part).

This is a tricky process; the plastic must be very clean, and free of solvents or plasticizers that would vaporize in the vacuum.

Processes for electroplating plastic can be found in references for plastic model builders. You might also be able to make use of methods used by amateur telescope builders to put silver on glass mirrors.
October 13, 2009 08:31AM
hello all! been trying to find a forum like this for some time now.been picking up little tips all over the internet for the past couple of weeks now and have just purchased my FIRST 3D printer...my pride and joy! well, not yet, just building it at the moment as it came flat packed with some instrustions that are alot easier than the old 'ikea' manual!! got it from www.bitsformbytes.co.uk, a company near bristol that have replicated the reprap machine for a fraction of the price...couldnt belive it. i thought i was looking to pay thousands like most of them! any questions and i'll try and answer them and i'll keep you posted on the build guys...happy printing!
russ
October 13, 2009 08:40AM
sorry www.bitsfrombytes.com! oops!
October 01, 2011 04:21PM
Hi everyone,
So , how is the project doing now , I see that the latest posts are from 2009 , Is everything still in motion?
If so , i would like to see it working and what kind of money would I need to start that project.
Thanks in advance!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login