Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First layer not coming out correctly

Posted by Vatsal J Tanna 
First layer not coming out correctly
May 30, 2018 11:54PM
Warm regards everyone,

I have a createbot diy printer assembled at my office and the first layer that comes off from it is a disaster. I don't know exactly what the problem is called but you can check out the attached photo (without raft. jpg). I thought I could outsmart this problem by using a better quality matterhacker's filament and also adding 2 layers of raft beneath the model. The result was that the rafts came out good but the first layer was still the same. Any ideas as to what the problem is and how to solve it?

Thanks.
Attachments:
open | download - With raft.jpg (480.2 KB)
open | download - Without raft.jpg (498.9 KB)
Re: First layer not coming out correctly
May 31, 2018 02:28AM
That's called underextrusion. It can be caused by all kinds of errors.
Did you calibrate your e-steps?
Is the extruder gear slipping? On most extruders, you can adjust the idler pressure. Too much or too low pressure is bad.
Does the extruder motor skip steps from being underpowered? See Vref adjustment

Last but not least, your nozzle could be partially clogged.
May 31, 2018 09:00AM
And In your slicer, it is possible to set the filament size wrong.

If you are using 1.75mm filament and you set your slicer for 3.00mm filament the result is the print will only have 0.583% of the filament you need to correctly print the Model.
June 03, 2018 06:57AM
1. If it is a case of under extrusion, then why did the raft and other layers build perfectly.
2. Unfortunately, unlike my prusa back at home, there is no way I can adjust the pressure of the extruder gear.
3. I checked the filament settings in slic3r, it was 1.75mm (thank god)

Can this be a case where the drawing is wrong? The base layer is too thin perhaps.. I have no way to measure since the drawing is not made by me. What came to me was an NX8 drawing which I somehow exported to stl using Internet.
June 03, 2018 09:11AM
It is possible you are correct, Post your models I can view them to see is there my be a problem if include your STL I will try a print using my 3D Printer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login