Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ramps 1.4 fan extender

Posted by marcocha 
ramps 1.4 fan extender
June 06, 2018 10:58AM
Hello,

i'm setting up my dual extruder printer with ramps 1.4, i'm using marlin 1.0.2 and arduino ide 1.8.5.
Since i got two extruder ports d8 d9 d10 are occupied by the hotends and bed, so i bought an rrd fan extender.

The question is: i want to setup a total of 5 fans, for each hotend one for cooling the extruder and one for cooling the print, and one for the stepper drivers.
For the stepper drivers i was thinking of wiring it directly to the psu, so it would work every time i switch on the printer.

Regarding the others, from what i found online i have to set in configurationadv.h the pins, which are 6 and 11.

#define EXTRUDER_0_AUTO_FAN_PIN -1
#define EXTRUDER_1_AUTO_FAN_PIN -1
#define EXTRUDER_2_AUTO_FAN_PIN -1
#define EXTRUDER_AUTO_FAN_TEMPERATURE 50
#define EXTRUDER_AUTO_FAN_SPEED 255 // == full speed

I'm not understanding which ones i should change. These lines of code are referring only to the hotend fans? I can't find the lines of the print fan. I was thinking about connecting two fans in parallel in d6 port for heatbed and two in d11 for prints: one fan will be on even if its hotend is not working but I haven't come out with a better solution. I'm really confused right now and i'm sorry if this post is too confused smiley

Any suggestions?
Re: ramps 1.4 fan extender
June 06, 2018 11:54AM
Each hot end should have two fans

1) a cooling fin fan
2) a part cooling fan

Auto fans are for people who dont like their cooling fin fans on all the time, so they have to software turn them on when they are above 50c Most of us just have then on when power is on.

for the stepper driver you need

/**
* Controller Fan
* To cool down the stepper drivers and MOSFETs.
* The fan will turn on automatically whenever any stepper is enabled
* and turn off after a set period after all steppers are turned off.
*/
//#define USE_CONTROLLER_FAN
#if ENABLED(USE_CONTROLLER_FAN)
//#define CONTROLLER_FAN_PIN FAN1_PIN // Set a custom pin for the controller fan
#define CONTROLLERFAN_SECS 60 // Duration in seconds for the fan to run after all motors are disabled
#define CONTROLLERFAN_SPEED 255 // 255 == full speed
#endif

for the part cooling fan you need to look in pins_RAMPS.h
find
#elif ENABLED(IS_RAMPS_EEcool smiley                    // Hotend, Hotend, Bed
  #define HEATER_1_PIN   RAMPS_D9_PIN
  #define HEATER_BED_PIN RAMPS_D8_PIN
and add the lines
#define FAN_PIN         ?
#define FAN1_PIN      ?

replacing ? with their pin
June 08, 2018 09:56AM
I'm carrying out this mod on my printer at the moment so this is a very useful topic for me!

I've used the info in this thread as a guide:

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/smart-fan-control-upgrade-using-rrd-fan-extender.16948/

Running 5 fans might be a bit of a challenge with the RRD Fan Extender. The part cooling fans can both be wired into D9 and the RAMPS cooling fan can go on the RRD Fan Extender but that still leaves 2 hotend cooling fans. I think you'll have to run one of the fans straight from the RAMPS PSU input and the other one can be connected to the other available pins on the fan extender.

For my fan extender, in config_adv.h, I changed:

//#define USE_CONTROLLER_FAN
//#define CONTROLLER_FAN_PIN FAN1_PIN // Set a custom pin for the controller fan
#define CONTROLLERFAN_SECS 60 // Duration in seconds for the fan to run after all motors are disabled
#endif
to

#define USE_CONTROLLER_FAN
#define CONTROLLER_FAN_PIN FAN1_PIN // Set a custom pin for the controller fan
#endif

and

#define E0_AUTO_FAN_PIN -1
to

#define E0_AUTO_FAN_PIN 11

In pins.h, I changed:

#define FAN1_PIN -1
to

#define FAN1_PIN 6

I'll be blogging my changes soon (just need to write it up) but I don't think that will have much more information than what I've already put here.

JK3D Blog - [jk3d.wordpress.com]
June 09, 2018 10:06AM
Thank you for your answers if i have any more questions i'll post them below
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login