Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Instructions for Programming

Posted by geball 
Instructions for Programming
June 08, 2018 12:24PM
I just built a RepRap Guru Prusa i3, V2, B, 3D printer and in manual mode it moves and homes in X, Y, & Z and the extruder works. However, I don't know how to program it. Can anyone recommend a tutorial for programming and setting up this 3D printer?
Re: Instructions for Programming
June 08, 2018 11:41PM
Most likely the 3D Printer is already programmed.

You want to print something

There are many models on
[www.thingiverse.com]

After you find a model you will need to slice it.

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
June 09, 2018 01:52AM
You never know, he may be committed and wants to write the gcode himself.
June 09, 2018 09:03AM
Then I wish him the best of luck!
June 10, 2018 07:21AM
Thanks Clif.

Actually, I do want to design my own parts. I have an airplane with retractable landing gear that I want to make what I call whirligig hubcaps for. When the landing gear is deployed, the whirligig hubcaps will make the wheels spin so that the tires aren't chewed up so much on landing. I have some other projects in mind, as well.

If I understand it correctly, a model is made using a CAD program and then that model is used by a slicer program to generate the g-code for the machine. The interpolated program is streamed to the machine or loaded on to a card which is placed in the reader on the machine.

I have programmed numerous N/C machines using programs like APT and Adapt, etc., and have programmed using g-code, but I haven't been able to find any documentation for the programming procedures for the RepRap Guru i3 V2. So, if anyone knows where to find this info it would be greatly appreciated.
June 10, 2018 07:48AM
You can start with Tinkercad it is a simple, online 3D design / cad program that allows you to create 3D Models for slicing into G-Code.

Fusion 360 is the best free Cad developer program, this has a learning curve. It has many tutorials on you-tube to aid you in learning.
Fusion 360 Free is free for hobbyist.

As a Programmer who has written Accounting and business software for many applications. I have never considered 3D Modeling / 3D Cad Design as Programming.
Programming in my opinion is when you write a program like Adobe illustrator, Fusion 360 or even a small application like Notepad.

Anyway I digress.

The above programs should give you a starting point. I have made and re-modeled many STL's 3D models to suite my needs using them.

How to activate Start-up, Student or Educational licensing for Fusion 360

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2018 07:49AM by Roberts_Clif.
June 10, 2018 08:04AM
Thanks again Clif
June 10, 2018 09:37AM
If your more of a programmer you might like openscad. Its a programming language to describe 3d models

You then export to STL, then slice then print.
June 12, 2018 10:16PM
your printer has a "controller"
Arduino Mega with a RAMPS board
it probably runs Marlin firmware
This firmware takes G-code and runs the motors/heaters on the printer

CAD (solid modeling) --->.stl file ---> slicer ---->g-code --->firmware

CAD (fusion, Sketchup, openscad)
model development
model export .stl file

CAM ( printer control SW --Repetier-host ) (PC SW app)
Slice (Slic3r, Cura) <==== slicer configuration parameters
G-code

usb (sd-card)

Printer controller
Firmware (Marlin, Repetier)

X,Y,Z extruder action

confused smiley
June 13, 2018 08:57AM
Thanks a lot. That should get me started.
I've done a fair amount of programming in the distant past (I'm talking ancient - COBAL Fortran IV and BASIC, but also N/C machine like lathes, mills, etc.), but I haven't been able to find a manual or tutorial that is complete enough to put things together, so it's been a challenge to get started. It would be really helpful for the manufacturer to have instructions available.
June 13, 2018 10:51AM
My most used slicer is Cura 15.04.6 with a Windows connection to Octoprint's which are connected to all my 3D Printers!
However use all the following on certain occasions.

Now I am not suggesting that you get all or even use all
This is just a post to let you know some of what is available.

All Free
Cura 15.04.6 ; I use this one because of habit, you know 1st Slicer.
Cura 3.1.0
Cura 3.2.1

idealmaker ; This one has built in model repair features

MatterControl

Slic3r

Others ; with special uses.
Meshmixer
Netfabb Studio
Repetier

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2018 10:53AM by Roberts_Clif.
June 13, 2018 11:05AM
Thanks Clif. I appreciate your experience and willingness to help those of us that need it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login