Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

hot end reccomendations

Posted by AverageJ0e 
hot end reccomendations
May 04, 2011 07:50AM
What would you guys reccomend for a hotend? There seems to be many different types with many different nozzle sizes etc, what is overall the best quality and the most customizable?

Thanks
Re: hot end reccomendations
May 06, 2011 12:19AM
Did some more research. The question I guess I really want to ask now is what is better in your experiences, the makergear hotend or the v5/v6 from mendel-parts.com?

Also, what is your preffered nozzle size? I see that the mendel-parts.com will have some new nozzle sizes soon, while the makergear already has a wide variety.
May 06, 2011 03:48PM
The Makergear products are a very established and trusted design. There is nothing wrong with the design of the v5/v6 as far as I have heard.

I would got with Makergear just because I have now owned and used 6 different MG hot ends and never had a failure do to their designs.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
May 08, 2011 12:45AM
I've got both. The maker gear kits are very complete, fun to build, and work just fine on my wades extruder. The Mendel-parts kits are high quality too, and work just fine on my Adrians extruder. The maker gear seems to heat up a little faster and hold it's temperature a little longer, and I worry about but haven't had any problems with the rubber coated insulation.
May 08, 2011 07:49AM
It's silicone, like the stuff you use to bake in smiling smiley

You could cut it with a blow torch and it would not flame up.

Mkouri Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've got both. The maker gear kits are very
> complete, fun to build, and work just fine on my
> wades extruder. The Mendel-parts kits are high
> quality too, and work just fine on my Adrians
> extruder. The maker gear seems to heat up a little
> faster and hold it's temperature a little longer,
> and I worry about but haven't had any problems
> with the rubber coated insulation.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
May 08, 2011 04:06PM
Thanks, that's good to know! I wasn't so much worried about fire, as interference. I didn't do a great job of making a symmetrical heater core, so the smaller piece of insulation rides very very low on the tip, not quite level with the tip itself but low enough that it always LOOKS like it's going to drag on something. I push it up with needle nosed pliers, it creeps back down.

Maybe after I finish printing a Prusa I'll tape a thermocouple to the tip, take that smaller insulation sleeve off, and see just how much it has been helping. Or not wait for a failure and go ahead and make the other heater core that came in the kit. I do like that they supply extras.

FWIW, I got the optional longer barrel worrying that the hot end too close to the carriage could eventually cause problems. In retrospect, I don't think that was necessary unless you're worried about the carriage bolt heads and hot end tip being too close to the same plane. The insulation works great. I suggest the normal (30mm?) barrel to have the most z distance.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login