Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

printhead wiper material to use?

Posted by dlc60 
printhead wiper material to use?
September 25, 2018 12:27PM
I have gotten my dual-head Tarantula printer to do a pretty good job, but still have little nits that are deposited from time to time marring the surface.
It is time to add a wiper and gcode to use it. The first thing that I need to know is what rubber can be used as the wiper material? My two-color stuff is so far all PLA, so it needs to be heat tolerant of PLA level temperatures. What is everyone else out there using?
Other questions,
Should I drop the temperature of the unused head if I use a wiper to clear the drool?
Will the "wait until temperature is met" action work in tool change script?
Any tips?

Thanks,
DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
VDX
Re: printhead wiper material to use?
September 25, 2018 01:22PM
... our first "wipers" some ten years ago were razor blades -- but outweared tooth-brushes are usefull too ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 25, 2018 06:23PM
I have an expensive name-brand printer which uses essentially a wirebrush as a wiper.
September 25, 2018 06:43PM
Stratasys printers use (or used to use) brass wire brushes. I have a cubex machine that scraped the nozzle against a spring loaded piece of teflon and dropped the drool into a bucket.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 26, 2018 06:51AM
have a look at the bigbox by e3d.. they have a toolchange gcode which puts the head in a bucket and purges all the content on tool change. then when it selects the new hotend it primes it in the bucket and starts the print , zero drool what so ever. the down side is that the printer has to be big enough for the heads to go outside the bed.
September 26, 2018 03:43PM
ekaggrat
have a look at the bigbox by e3d.. they have a toolchange gcode which puts the head in a bucket and purges all the content on tool change. then when it selects the new hotend it primes it in the bucket and starts the print , zero drool what so ever. the down side is that the printer has to be big enough for the heads to go outside the bed.

Thanks, that is good info. I have a Tevo Tarantula that I modified to be dual head. It definitely parks off the bed.

DLC
September 26, 2018 03:47PM
So, it looks like just about "anything goes" as far as the wiper is concerned. I just need to mount it in such a fashion that it works reliably, and then code up a tool change gcode script.
I wonder how the script knows which head is active? I'll have to examine the code sequences used, that'll tell.

Kind of excited with this concept, it will be the final step to perfect dual-head prints. I have mastered the Z-height, mounting and nozzle offsets setting.

Thanks all,
DLC
VDX
September 26, 2018 04:12PM
dlc60
I wonder how the script knows which head is active?

... you have to set a variable for the tool number.

With my own modifications for camera-teaching and tool changing it's an internal variable which is set by the "T" code -- "T0" selects the camera, "T1" or higher the respective tool.

Have a special routine and a visual "toolbox" too for changing the offset for every tool or the camera ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

September 26, 2018 05:03PM
VDX
dlc60
I wonder how the script knows which head is active?

... you have to set a variable for the tool number.

With my own modifications for camera-teaching and tool changing it's an internal variable which is set by the "T" code -- "T0" selects the camera, "T1" or higher the respective tool.

Have a special routine and a visual "toolbox" too for changing the offset for every tool or the camera ...

Nice, I was wondering if gcode had the ability to have custom subroutines for special sequences. Good to know.

Thanks,
VDX
September 26, 2018 06:15PM
... it's not in the G-code, but in the Python-Code of my Pronterface-variant ... have added some modules/classes and "toolboxes" for all sorts of extra functions to handle file-converting, paste-dispensing, laser-engraving, CNC-functions and more winking smiley

Viktor
--------

September 27, 2018 02:29AM
dlc60
Nice, I was wondering if gcode had the ability to have custom subroutines for special sequences. Good to know.

Yes, some firmware support Gcode macros stored on the SD card. Some macros are executed automatically when certain things happen, for example tool changes. Others are executed manual using the M98 command.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 27, 2018 12:14PM
dc42
dlc60

Yes, some firmware support Gcode macros stored on the SD card. Some macros are executed automatically when certain things happen, for example tool changes. Others are executed manual using the M98 command.

I am at a new level of learning now. If these macros are stored on an SD card, how are they then transmitted via Octoprint to a printer when no such SD card is used for storage? I see that Simplify3D has a tab where gcode scripts are executed at: startup, ending and tool changes. CURA also has gcode scripts you can enter for start, end and extruder start and end. This sounds like where I should be putting these custom wipe scripts.

thanks,
DLC
September 27, 2018 01:01PM
You only need Octoprint if your 3D printer controller doesn't have a network interface and run a web server. Most 32-bit controller offer these facilities.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login