Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Scratch printer build, steppers only turn one direction

Posted by dvanommen 
Scratch printer build, steppers only turn one direction
November 23, 2018 09:27PM
I'm building a printer from scratch, my own design. I'm using an MKS gen v1.4 control board with marlin firmware and zyltech 1.7A nema17 steppers on drv8825 drivers. I just got the motors in today, so I connected them to the board to check how they work, and they're only turning one direction. Any ideas? They all behave the same way, so I think that suggests that the motors are connected right and they all work. Maybe something in the firmware I can check?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2018 09:27PM by dvanommen.
Re: Scratch printer build, steppers only turn one direction
November 23, 2018 09:34PM
I will say, I don't have the correct connector type on these. The board uses jst type connectors but the motors came with Dupont style plugs. Maybe I'm committing a major crime here, but they seem to be going onto the pins ok?
November 23, 2018 09:40PM
Oh also my power supply is a 24v 9a supply. I'll be using 24v for the build, but this psu is only here to give me some power while I wait for the real unit to arrive. I shouldn't think this is too low of power though... it came off another printer, so I figure it's ok
November 23, 2018 09:49PM
same thing every new users does...

you have to get your ensdstops working correctly first, otherwise you can only move in +ve direction

send the printer a M119, any endstops that say triggered, you cant move in that direction.
November 23, 2018 10:04PM
Ah, thanks. I'll get the end stops figured out before messing with the steppers
November 23, 2018 10:19PM
Well that was a pretty easy fix! Apparently all the stops are triggered haha when I close them, the motors all turn both ways. Easy fix in the firmware. Thanks for the help, Dust!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login