Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

suggestions for small 3d printer to build

Posted by mogul 
suggestions for small 3d printer to build
December 02, 2018 08:49AM
I am considering making myself a small 3d-printer, something that will fit on my office desk. I already have some larger machines at hand, but a tiny one could be fun. Something with a build area of perhaps 10x10x10cm.

I would prefer a Cartesian XY machine where the printbed moves on Z. And of course, since we are here, a print-the-most design, would be nice as well.

Suggestion for designs I should check out?

/mogul
Re: suggestions for small 3d printer to build
December 02, 2018 10:39AM
I played around with a tiny Delta to stirr my coffee, but it failed.

But a Delta has the smallest footprint of all, just saying smiling smiley
December 02, 2018 07:03PM
mogul
I am considering making myself a small 3d-printer, something that will fit on my office desk. I already have some larger machines at hand, but a tiny one could be fun. Something with a build area of perhaps 10x10x10cm.

I would prefer a Cartesian XY machine where the printbed moves on Z. And of course, since we are here, a print-the-most design, would be nice as well.

Suggestion for designs I should check out?

/mogul

Deltas have the smallest footprint for a given print area, but they are taller than other types of printer. A Mini Kossel will give you a print area of around 140mm tom160mm diameter.

Caution, delta printers are less tolerant of geometrical errors than Cartesian printers, so I advise against cheap delta printer kits.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 02, 2018 07:03PM
o_lampe
[attachment 108393 2018-02-0111.53.16.jpg]

Why did it fail?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 03, 2018 11:11PM
dc42
o_lampe
[attachment 108393 2018-02-0111.53.16.jpg]

Why did it fail?

I wanted to use these tiny DVD-rom motors, I had laying around. But they were just strong enough to move the gantry without load. They also melted their way through the frame.
It's now a nice eyecatcher on my desk...
VDX
December 04, 2018 02:36AM
... for a pretty small "foot-print" you can look at the "one-sheet-tripod" here - [reprap.org]

This one was slightly bigger, but assembled only from 12 parts - here a video, testing the kinematixs: [vimeo.com]

Will redesign it by time with the small Igus-rods (got 6 of them on the last exhibition winking smiley ):

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 29, 2019 11:39PM
I wanted exactly what you wanted. So I started hacking...
Beginning with Makerbeam XL T-slot rails and frame parts from someone's Mini-Kossel design on Thingiverse, I came up with this:

The bed is a 100mm disk of 5mm thick acrylic. The hot end is a V6 clone on a custom end effector that gives the best Z height by putting all but the nozzle above the end effector plate. The corners are PLA, this thing will never see ABS filament! I used a RAMPS board combo and a RepRap discount smart graphics controller. The rods are 110mm and the build volume is 80mm x 80mm x 91mm. The Bowden is so short that I easily print TPU and TPEE, just not fast. It is all NEMA 14 steppers to fit into the small volume. the whole thing is about 300mm tall and will fit into a 200mm diameter spot on the desk. It even has a part cooler.

Because it has no heated bed I limit it to PLA, PETG, TPU and TPEE. All of which sticks just fine to blue tape. It runs on a 12V, 5Amp LED power supply.
I admit, it isn't pretty, but it works pretty well.

DLC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2019 11:41PM by dlc60.

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login