Which controller for mouse-controlled NC pick&place machine?
December 02, 2018 10:16AM

We are using this manual p&p machine at work, which i want to upgrade to be mouse controlled. The motion kinematic will be CoreXY with steppers. The toolhead also needs a small motor to align the SMT-part with the solderpads ( mousewheel ). The suction-part is automated already, I only have to replace the spring with a motor to move the toolhead up/down ( footpedal or mousebutton )

Arduino Leonardo and the Due should both have native USB host capabilities, but from the RADDS board, I know it is tricky. The other option could be a RasPi, but I'd have to write the whole firmware, I'm afraid.

Has anyone seen Marlin or GRBL used as NC-control? There are these joystick controlers for CNC, but I need mouse control.

Any pointers or opinions are welcome.
Re: Which controller for mouse-controlled NC pick&place machine?
December 02, 2018 10:26AM
We've discussed a (CoreXY?) frame with extended Y-axis lately. But I can't find it.
My design is based on one of the drawings I've seen there: two linear rails; the carriers connected in 90° and the belts were parallel to the rails.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2018 10:28AM by o_lampe.
VDX
December 02, 2018 12:10PM
... I'm controlling all my last XYZ-machines (pastedispenser, laserengraver, ...) with my Pronterface derivat (internal name "gieCAPS" - you can search through the forums for images and videos) and slightly modified Marlin4Due on RADDS ... or too our own RADDS-compatible "industry-grade" 24V-board.

Here is another mechanical setup I've finished at friday with the same "RADDS-compatible" controller with Marlin4Due, but in a more industry-like setup cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2018 12:11PM by VDX.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
VDX
December 02, 2018 12:15PM
... by the way, this is my own "Fritsch-SMD-pick'n'placer", modified for camera-controlles micro-assembling with a teleoperated sub-micron stage added to the manual XYZ-stages:

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

December 02, 2018 02:13PM
Good news Viktor! I have ordered a Duet Maestro to replace the RADDS on my CoreXY, so it waits for new challenges.
Do you use encoders with scalable resolution?
I thought of using coarse moves when no mousebutton is pressed, finer resolution with left mousebutton and decoupled when right mousebutton is pressed.

Finally found the thread with the above mentioned frame design. In my case, I don't have to worry about a sagging toolhead.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2018 02:18PM by o_lampe.
VDX
December 02, 2018 02:54PM
... my actual servo gantry uses 500lpr/2000tpr encoders with 5mm spindles, so around 2,5 Micron resolution.

The sub-micron stage in the images was assembled with self-designed "Ferrofluid+magnet-driven" analogue controlled drives - here I had a fine-positioning range of 1mm per axis, which was set with 16Bit-DAC's to a 0-20V-driver ... this was precise enough to 0,1 Micron (100 Nanometers) cool smiley

Later I've built other sub-micron stages with "PiezoLeg" PZT motors with single step resolution of 150 Nanometers (or below 1 Nanometer with a special "clamped" mode) and 23mm traveling range.

Here I've got the PZT-controller firmware changed by the vendor for two modes - one "fast"-mode with acceleration and "bigger" steps, the other "fine" (activated with a press-button) with trimpot-adjustable speed from "normal" down to single 150 Nanometer steps per second ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2018 06:54PM by VDX.

Viktor
--------

VDX
December 02, 2018 03:03PM
... hmm ... thinking about the [+]-shaped frame design and resolution -- I have two XY-sliders and some geared (400:1 and 800:1) Maxxon motors with 500lpr-encoders - could give two modular XY-stages with pretty fine positioning accuracy grinning smiley

Viktor
--------

December 02, 2018 07:13PM
Have you considered using rotary encoders to adjust the XY position? I think you might find that more precise than using a mouse.

I'm fairly sure the Leonardo can't be a USB host. The processor in the Due in supports USB OTG which offers limited USB host functionality.

Duets are used in CNC applications. The latest Duet Maestro firmware allows you to use the rotary encoder on the 12864 display to perform live adjustment of coordinates. So you could use the M291 command in your script to pop up a box to adjust X and Y, then press OK. However, I expect separate encoders for X and Y would be better.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login