Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Salvaging parts from a hp plotter 60"

Posted by Tmcall83 
Salvaging parts from a hp plotter 60"
December 20, 2018 05:11AM
I am looking to build a 3d printer and i have a 60" hp designjet plotter i will be scrapping it does work but the ink cost around 1k and haven't been able to sell it, so i was wondering would it be worth salvaging all the useable parts from it to build a 3d printer or would it be easier to just buy a kit? Any help would be appreciated thanks
Re: Salvaging parts from a hp plotter 60"
December 20, 2018 11:54AM
Uh, I see a refurbed unit for $5,899 !!

Sell it for $3k and buy a kit.
December 20, 2018 12:02PM
I have taken apart large format ink jet printers. There weren't a lot of useful parts for a 3D printer. There's usually a single, long 8mm guide rail that is supported by screws every 100 mm or so, a couple small steppers and or servo motors, a few fans and maybe a power supply or two, some drive belts and pulleys that might be a usable size, and a lot of small metric screws and other hardware. The problem with taking apart a big printer like that is disposing of the left overs, and there are always waste tanks of ink that will get all over the floor and your clothes while you dismantle the thing.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 20, 2018 07:46PM
Buying a kit is always easier than scratch building one I guess, but if you're even considering scratch building a 3D printer, the point is moot.

I don't think the designjet is going to provide many usable parts for a 3D printer build, maybe you can use a couple of parts in a 3D printer but you're going to have to select and buy the rest. The thing is that those parts may be build specifically for that device and you'll have to jump through a few hoops to make it work in your own designs. If that's the sort of challenge you're looking for, go for it smiling smiley

--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

NFAN CoreXY printer:
[reprap.org]
December 20, 2018 08:12PM
Thanks everyone for the info i think i will be researching a kit to buy
January 02, 2019 05:32PM
Happy new year guys.

your best bet would not salvaging the mechanical part of the ploter but interfere with the electronics. so you ll be able to use it as a cutter or you can come with something else like a laser ( to do this you ll have to change the mechanical part too) .

in the case that it ll work then you can sell the electronics or anything that would be left off as parts and save you some money to get a 3d printer.

Delta Printer
Duet 0.8.5 firmware 1.19
January 09, 2019 05:06PM
Tmcall83
I am looking to build a 3d printer and i have a 60" hp designjet plotter i will be scrapping it does work but the ink cost around 1k and haven't been able to sell it, so i was wondering would it be worth salvaging all the useable parts from it to build a 3d printer or would it be easier to just buy a kit? Any help would be appreciated thanks

Sell it used and buy a kit. You just have to find the right price point.

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
January 10, 2019 05:29AM
As HP plotters are masterpieces of programmed obsolescence, their second-hand value is:

"We agree to take it over for free, as part of our environmental responsibility program, if you buy one of our new models!"

Without shame!
January 10, 2019 10:13AM
M_Xeno
As HP plotters are masterpieces of programmed obsolescence, their second-hand value is:

"We agree to take it over for free, as part of our environmental responsibility program, if you buy one of our new models!"

Without shame!

Without shame indeed.

However, someone out there is always looking for old equipment that works, to keep an old process running. I sold my old PowerPC Mac's to a guy that needed the older models to run his test code on a legacy product that he sold. I would have thought they'd just be scrap, but in the end, I still got a return on them and kept them out of the landfill. It's worth a try!

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login